MD & DO Chances and Help with School list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naed0194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
Here are my stats. I am a ESL student, here in State since 07. Currently reside in Michigan. I just finished my BS, Majoring in Nutrition and Food Science. Greatly appreciate if you can guide me here. What are my chances and which university i should apply?
cGPA - 3.98 (Never got grade below A-. Only 2 A- in my whole UG study. One in Science and One in non science. Rest of them solid A.)
sGPA - 3.97
MCAT - 26 (06V/09PS/11BS),
but I took it thrice! First - 18, Second - 20.

Close to 150 hours Volunteer work at the hospital. (ER and Patient Care)
Doing some Shadowing (MD).
Took 4 credit hours research during UG. Was part of the research and the topic was to look at the effect of nutrition on Alzheimers disease.
Helped organize University Computer Science summer camp in few summers
Working as student assistant in Computer science Dept. since freshmen year.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

your best chances for MD are with the in-state schools. MSU, central michigan, western michigan, oakland.

other than that you'll need a DO list. start with MSUCOM and go from there

I'm gonna have to say I am not even sure if the MCAT score is competitive for MD schools. This is what my pre-med advisor told me when I tried to apply with a VR score that was below 8 - VR score will screen you out of interviews and some secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 26 is lethal for MD schools, but fine for many DO schools if you apply broadly. Skip CCOM, AZCOM, and the NY and CA Touros.

Hi Everybody,
Here are my stats. I am a ESL student, here in State since 07. Currently reside in Michigan. I just finished my BS, Majoring in Nutrition and Food Science. Greatly appreciate if you can guide me here. What are my chances and which university i should apply?
cGPA - 3.98 (Never got grade below A-. Only 2 A- in my whole UG study. One in Science and One in non science. Rest of them solid A.)
sGPA - 3.97
MCAT - 26 (06V/09PS/11BS),
but I took it thrice! First - 18, Second - 20.

Close to 150 hours Volunteer work at the hospital. (ER and Patient Care)
Doing some Shadowing (MD).
Took 4 credit hours research during UG. Was part of the research and the topic was to look at the effect of nutrition on Alzheimers disease.
Helped organize University Computer Science summer camp in few summers
Working as student assistant in Computer science Dept. since freshmen year.
Thanks

A 26 is lethal for MD schools, but fine for many DO schools if you apply broadly. Skip CCOM, AZCOM, and the NY and CA Touros.
he's in a lucky state, though. he's >10th percentile for MCAT at CMU and MSU, and oakland seems pretty reasonable too