Chances and/or advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parsival47

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently an incoming 3rd year at a UC majoring in a BS in Biology. I was just looking for any advice on what I can do to strengthen my medical school application or if I’m on the right path? Keeping in mind, I’m planning on completing a fifth year plus a gap year. I plan on applying to medical school at the end of my 5th year. I’ll give you a brief summary of what my application will look like if I maintain all of my extracurriculars by the time I apply (excluding my gap year)... Gpa: ~3.5 sGpa: ~3.4 MCAT: hopefully above 507 Extracurriculars:

• Shadowing: (~200 hours) (6 years) shadowed multiple specialties including an interventional cardiologist, interventional radiologist, ER surgeon and a pediatrician.

• Non-clinical Volunteering: (~400 hours) (4 years) One of the strongest points of my application. I volunteer for a local elemtary school geared towards low-income families, in which I have volunteered over the summer and in the school’s after school program. Over the summer, I’d be able to build strong relationships with the kids and do fun art, science and outdoor activities. The after school program I am able to tutor the kids and help them with their homework and act as a supervisor until their parents picked them up.

• Clinical Volunteering: (~250 hours) (4 months) I volunteered for a hospital for an entire summer in downtown Los Angeles. I volunteered mostly in the ER.

• Competitive Triathlete for a non-profit organization: (? Hours) (5 years) I raised over $5000 for a non-profit organization by representing them while running mutilple triathlons.

• Hobbies: (6-7 years) Surfing, wave photography, hiking

• Research: (2-3 years) (~1,000+ hours) worked as an RA in a psychology research lab. Hope to receive a publication soon, if not at least a poster/presentation

• Pre medical fraternity: (~3,000+ hours) (5 years) was a member of a pre-medical co-ed fraternity, in which I was a part of the recruiting committee , served as the recruitment committee chair and I am now the Vice President of recruitment for the entire fraternity. Completed many non-clinical service hours through the fraternity.
———- Advice on extracurriculars to do during my gap year? Do I need more clinical experience or volunteer hours to show that I know what it’s like to be a physician? Despite that, I’m also worried my application screams that I did too much stuff related to medicine and not enough stand out extracurriculars. Should I spend my fifth year being a biology tutor for the school? There’s so many things I’m interested in just not sure if I should pursue other interests to make my application more diverse or keep adding hours to my volunteering, shadowing and research? Or maybe complete an SMP or Post-bacc to boost my gpa? Any opinions/advice help!! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.