Chances? Apply? Or wait until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FionaDoctortoHopefullyBe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a junior at a four year university, I just transferred from a community college. I did all of my medical school prereqs at cc, except for biochem which I will finish at the four year soon. I volunteered for almost two year at a hospital working with patients, did research for two summers at cc and presented at research conferences, I was a VP of an honors society at cc, did lots of other non-medical volunteer work. I had part time jobs, and got a full scholarship from cc to the four year university I am at today. My GPA dropped my first quarter at the university due to personal issues, but I still have two more quarters to go this year and I am confident I can get my grades up. Wondering if so far with a good MCAT score I am a competitive applicant? or if I should wait until next year and apply next spring? I just don't want a gap year. Is applying twice to medical schools if i dont get in the first time a terrible idea? Ideally my goal medical schools would be like Stanford or Columbia, but I am being realistic and would be more than thrilled to get into ANY medical school.
cc GPA: 3.98
university GPA: 3.72

Members don't see this ad.

If you do some shadowing, you'll be an "all boxes checked" competitive applicant, provided your MCAT score is up to par. Many people don't get into medical school on their first attempt and apply again and are successful, but it's generally better to give it your best effort the first time and not have to worry about a second round. If you want to apply in June, you should focus on 1) destroying your MCAT and 2) getting some shadowing in. You should also purchase MSAR and check to see which schools are CC prereq friendly.

Thank you so so much for getting back to me. By shadowing do you mean contacting/emailing a doctor specifically and following them personally? and for how hours is a good idea in your opinion? I will continue to study very hard for the MCAT, but is an MCAT course absolutely necessary? because I don't think I have enough time to finish it. Also, I am doing an internship for three months this upcoming year, does this count more like volunteering or shadowing or neither? Also, how many letters of recommendation do I need? can some be from a cc? Appreciate all of your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do some shadowing, you'll be an "all boxes checked" competitive applicant, provided your MCAT score is up to par. Many people don't get into medical school on their first attempt and apply again and are successful, but it's generally better to give it your best effort the first time and not have to worry about a second round. If you want to apply in June, you should focus on 1) destroying your MCAT and 2) getting some shadowing in. You should also purchase MSAR and check to see which schools are CC prereq friendly.

Thank you so so much for getting back to me. By shadowing do you mean contacting/emailing a doctor specifically and following them personally? and for how hours is a good idea in your opinion? I will continue to study very hard for the MCAT, but is an MCAT course absolutely necessary? because I don't think I have enough time to finish it. Also, I am doing an internship for three months this upcoming year, does this count more like volunteering or shadowing or neither? Also, how many letters of recommendation do I need? can some be from a cc? Appreciate all of your help.

Thank you so so much for getting back to me. By shadowing do you mean contacting/emailing a doctor specifically and following them personally? and for how hours is a good idea in your opinion?

Yeah basically you follow a doctor around and see what they do on a day to day basis. You can try to set one up through your school or by emailing doctors cold.

I will continue to study very hard for the MCAT, but is an MCAT course absolutely necessary? because I don't think I have enough time to finish it.

Whether an MCAT course is necessary or not will depend on your individual study habits.

Also, I am doing an internship for three months this upcoming year, does this count more like volunteering or shadowing or neither?

Depends on what the internship is.

Also, how many letters of recommendation do I need? can some be from a cc? Appreciate all of your help.

Depends on the school, but generally at least one letter from a non-science professor and 2 from science professors. If your undergrad has a committee letter, they might have specific requirements as well.