chances are getting slim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPac44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well chances of me getting into dental school this year are getting slim, and I've come to realize that. My GPA w/o sciences is "ok" with a 3.4, but my science GPA is unfortunately a 2.9. I mostly contribute my lower grades not to my lack of intelligence, but due to the fact I played division I hockey which took up a lot of time especially on the weekend away games, and working in carpentry 20+ hours a week. My last two semesters of school (no hockey, no job) Ive done great with a 3.7 overall. Therefore, i know I have what it takes to do real well in these classes, I guess immaturity and lack of time hurt me early on.

My question then is, if I end up not getting in this year, should I take science classes over, or should I apply for a one year master's program, or any other options you guys can help me explore would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everyone on the forum and thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

what is your DAT breakdown if you dont mind me asking. also, what is your major and what upper level bio classes have you taken already?

post-bacc or masters... this has been heavily debated for years throughout SDN and I'm sure you would find countless threads if you did a quick search.

I did a one year post-bacc to raise my science GPA, granted I only took 2 classes a semester since I was working nearly 30 hours a week. I earned a 4.0 and reapplied and the best I got was a spot on the waitlist. After the cycle, I contacted several schools and they all recommended doing a Masters. I didn't want to do a Masters from the beginning due to the huge cost compared to a couple classes/semester. Long story short, I completed a Masters Degree in Molecular & Cell Biology in 3 semesters with a 3.8 (working 20 hrs/week)... end result: 3 acceptances on December 1st.

Well chances of me getting into dental school this year are getting slim, and I've come to realize that. My GPA w/o sciences is "ok" with a 3.4, but my science GPA is unfortunately a 2.9. I mostly contribute my lower grades not to my lack of intelligence, but due to the fact I played division I hockey which took up a lot of time especially on the weekend away games, and working in carpentry 20+ hours a week. My last two semesters of school (no hockey, no job) Ive done great with a 3.7 overall. Therefore, i know I have what it takes to do real well in these classes, I guess immaturity and lack of time hurt me early on.

My question then is, if I end up not getting in this year, should I take science classes over, or should I apply for a one year master's program, or any other options you guys can help me explore would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everyone on the forum and thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
post-bacc or masters... this has been heavily debated for years throughout SDN and I'm sure you would find countless threads if you did a quick search.

I did a one year post-bacc to raise my science GPA, granted I only took 2 classes a semester since I was working nearly 30 hours a week. I earned a 4.0 and reapplied and the best I got was a spot on the waitlist. After the cycle, I contacted several schools and they all recommended doing a Masters. I didn't want to do a Masters from the beginning due to the huge cost compared to a couple classes/semester. Long story short, I completed a Masters Degree in Molecular & Cell Biology in 3 semesters with a 3.8 (working 20 hrs/week)... end result: 3 acceptances on December 1st.

You'd also have to consider that a 2.9 is going to be fairly difficult to raise significantly with post-bacc courses. I think I'd go with a Masters as well, though probably something like an MPH or MBA, personal preference and what you want to do play a big role in that decision though, as well as undergrad major/minor. (I assume your DAT is good enough not to need a re-take if you aren't mentioning it as part of admissions issues?)

Rubber Dam Man: Why molecular and cell bio? Were you already a science major?

Molecular & Cell Biology because adcoms want to see that you can handle graduate level science coursework... an MBA is nice too, but it won't hold the weight that a science masters will hold .. especially if you have a weak undergraduate science GPA. In other words, you would be less likely to sway their decision even if you did well in an MBA or an MPH... relative to doing extremely well in a science-based masters... (ie. bio). You are essentially trying to prove that you can handle graduate level science coursework... I'm sure applicants have been accepted with other types of Masters Degrees, but if you didn't do so well in your undergraduate science classes... then logically, you need to somehow prove that you can handle rigorous upper-level science coursework which is why a science-based MS would work more in your favor considering that the applicant has done well

You'd also have to consider that a 2.9 is going to be fairly difficult to raise significantly with post-bacc courses. I think I'd go with a Masters as well, though probably something like an MPH or MBA, personal preference and what you want to do play a big role in that decision though, as well as undergrad major/minor. (I assume your DAT is good enough not to need a re-take if you aren't mentioning it as part of admissions issues?)

Last edited:

I agree with doing a Master's, but not an MPH or MBA. If your sGPA is a 2.9, you should do a course based science Master's.

I'm in the same boat as you, man. I played varsity tennis, so I sympathize with the crazy workload. When I applied last year to 14ish schools, I got 0 interviews (stats: tier 1 school, cGPA 3.2, sGPA 2.91, non sci GPA 3.8, 1000s of volunteer hours, 1000s of hrs of dental experience, several community leardership awards, academic scholarships, average DAT [AA19/TS19/PAT21]). So, I'm doing a 1-year course based Science master's. If I get a 4.0 in all my courses, i'll only go up to a 3.38ish cGPA, 3.2sGPA. I'm also re-taking my Ds in organic Chem, taking gross anatomy and microbiology in the fall 2011, and retaking my DAT; hopefully that will be enough.

Good luck to you.

Masters for sure... check out some SMPs. My Masters helped me get into Dental School.

When I said MPH/MBA, I said it was a personal preference, not specifically directed at the OP. Why is that my personal preference? Because I think in the long term an MPH or MBA would have more professional benefits than a MS (not in research obviously of course) for me, course I'm also not sitting on a 2.9 sGPA.

An MBA is a very useful degree.

I am going to look into a masters program, but also this summer i am going to retake a couple of the pre-requirements for physical therapy school and get my grades up for that. If all fails with dental school, I will be pushing forward to become a PT. Therefore, I have decided to start studying for my GREs now and taking it in the middle of the summer well prepared. To add to that, I already set up an internship with a local PT and will be starting that this week. I plan on doing 3-4 internships in different settings. I am hoping by doing real well on the GRE's, getting my pre-requirement grades higher (i havent taken physiology or anatomy yet, so i have a chance to work hard and get two A's there for my pre-requirements), getting many hours shadowing, and hopefully some community service experience...and also applying very early (whenever the application process opens), that i will have a good chance to get accepted somewhere.