Chances as Rising Junior (c3.97 s4.00)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dflint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! I am halfway through my sophomore year at a Top-20 (American) university. Seeing as I will be applying to medical school in about a year, I wanted to check to see what people think of my ECs and what I should look at improving.

- cGPA 3.97 sGPA 4.00 (Dean’s list + Prize for Excellence in Chemistry)
- Canadian International student
Research
- 800 Hours Biochemistry Research – presented poster at national meeting, possible 1st author pub in the future
- 150 Hours Clinical Cancer Research – currently in process of submitting 2nd author publication + in slow process of writing 1st author article

Volunteering
- 100 Hours Volunteering in Surgical Clinical Setting
- 30 Hours Volunteering Geriatric Ward
- *100 Hours Volunteering Cardiovascular Ward * this was performed in high school so I don’t think I can list it
- 2 Years volunteering with children w/ development disabilities

Extracurriculars
- Significant position in Student Government
- Have had Artwork in two exhibitions on campus (Tied for highest voted in one of these)

Employment
- Introductory Biology Teaching Assistant
- Summer Lifeguard

I don’t have any shadowing, but hope to get some soon and my volunteering has been very patient oriented and I’ve gotten to see doctors working during these opportunities.

I’m aiming pretty high but I won’t know what to expect until MCATs obviously. I’m hoping that if I get enough research I’ll be able to be looked at by schools that are more research oriented.

Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you kidding? A scholar like yourself shouldn't be worried in the least bit. You've obviously worked very hard to achieve what you have so far and by the looks of it even if you didn't get accepted into any med school I don't believe you are the type of person to take no for an answer. Continue working hard with what is important to you and you will live a live of happiness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't rule out Caribbean just yet. Actually, I don't know if you're insecure/neurotic, if you are seeking reaffirmation, or if you are bragging, but regardless, you're already a pretty excellent applicant. Get some serious shadowing done and keep up the rest. Rock your MCAT, and I don't see why you couldn't go anywhere you want.

Sent from my SGH-T769

Hi Lysilegluleu

Thanks for your advice, I'm hovering somewhere between really nervous and looking for a small bit of reaffirmation. I suppose that after seeing typical SDN posts with multiple publications and 40 MCATs I feel fairly mediocre (especially as an International)

Don't worry too much. Are you aiming for a pretty highly ranked school? You'll need a high end MCAT score for those, but if not, you're probably going to medical school on your planned schedule. It is only a matter of where at that point.

Sent from my SGH-T769

You shouldn't list your 100 high school hours unless you continued it, as that might make you seem like you're just trying to make your list longer. You have fantastic high quality stuff, so you don't want to look like you're running out of things to list. Go for hobbies before doing discontinued high school activities.

If you can get at least a 34 on your MCAT and maintain your GPA, you'll be very competitive for top research schools.

The list itself, looks pretty solid. I mean, it's pretty standard, with a few things that are a bit above and beyond. I'd focus more on not what your list has, but what you've learned from them. research is research all around, but what you can talk about from that experience, makes all the difference. (for example.) AND, I'd start freewriting your personal statement. Seriously. If I could do it all over again, that's what I'd start doing ASAP. But, seeing how you're probably like all the others, you won't do it until you apply. But one can always hope. :laugh: