Chances at DO...nontraditional,24 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringDR24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I know there are a ton of these but here goes. I am a non-traditional from Ohio. I am currently 26 years old. Here are my stats.

Undergraduate GPA-2.85
Post-Bacc GPA--3.54
cGPA-3.1
sGPA-3.4
MCAT-24 (ver-7,bio-9,phys-8)

I have applied broadly to both MD and DO but realize my best shot is at DO and I am fine with that. I have two letters from DOs. I also have volunteer experience and experience working in both a small medical center and a large teaching hospital working with the medical school at that hospital. I also have tons of shadowing time and was a TA for organic. Should I consider retaking or do I have a decent shot at DO/lower tier MD? The thing with my MCAT is I was getting 9-10 on my verbal so I was surprised to see it so low. But I was also getting a point lower in both bio and phys. I am terrified to take it again and do worse. But the test is changing in January so I don't want to have to do that either. Any insight would be great, Im really hoping these numbers are ok for DO!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your calculated AACOMAS GPA?
How may post-bac credits do you have?
Are you a URM?

I wouldn't apply to MD programs, I would focus solely on DO since your MCAT and your GPA is lower than the national average for all schools. I think that you may have a tough time for DO due to the mediocre MCAT, especially if you feel that you exceeded your expectations in the bio and the physical science sections.

That MCAT is rough and the GPA is below average too. The 3.54 post-bacc GPA isn't steller either. What kind of post-bacc program was it? Are you a URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
No chance with MD, limited with DO. You'd be rejected at my school. Best to apply broadly to DO prgrams, especially the newer ones. I cannot recommend LUCOM, however.

Ok I know there are a ton of these but here goes. I am a non-traditional from Ohio. I am currently 26 years old. Here are my stats.

Undergraduate GPA-2.85
Post-Bacc GPA--3.54
cGPA-3.1
sGPA-3.4

I have applied broadly to both MD and DO but realize my best shot is at DO and I am fine with that. I have two letters from DOs. I also have volunteer experience and experience working in both a small medical center and a large teaching hospital working with the medical school at that hospital. I also have tons of shadowing time and was a TA for organic. Should I consider retaking or do I have a decent shot at DO/lower tier MD? The thing with my MCAT is I was getting 9-10 on my verbal so I was surprised to see it so low. But I was also getting a point lower in both bio and phys. I am terrified to take it again and do worse. But the test is changing in January so I don't want to have to do that either. Any insight would be great, Im really hoping these numbers are ok for DO!

cGPA-3.1
sGPA-3.4

GPA - 13th percentile for MD, 27th for DO.
MCAT - 14th percentile for MD, 32nd for DO.

Consider retaking the MCAT and some of the classes you did poorly in.