Chances at Harvard, USC, VCU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegoatest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, needing some help here! I only applied to a few schools back in June, but I am thinking about adding these schools to my list. I realize it is mid-September and kind of late in the cycle, but I have a 4.0 GPA (from a big university) and a 24 AA. EC = 100+ hours of research, intramural sports, etc. IN YOUR OPINION, do I have a shot at any of these schools this late in the application cycle? Are they worth the $150 each to apply? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, needing some help here! I only applied to a few schools back in June, but I am thinking about adding these schools to my list. I realize it is mid-September and kind of late in the cycle, but I have a 4.0 GPA (from a big university) and a 24 AA. EC = 100+ hours of research, intramural sports, etc. IN YOUR OPINION, do I have a shot at any of these schools this late in the application cycle? Are they worth the $150 each to apply? Thank you!
why would you even bother adding usc with those stats?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$$$$$$$$$$$$

and unless you're socially ******ed, your stats will get you in somewhere else for sure
I'm going military. $$$ isn't an issue. But thanks, I'm hoping they'll consider me this late in the cycle. Stats aren't everything.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going military. $$$ isn't an issue. But thanks, I'm hoping they'll consider me this late in the cycle. Stats aren't everything.
yeah but trust me you'll get in to usc with those stats alone. anyway, you never specified being in the military so in that case just apply wherever you want. i'd still think about PBL before submitting for USC but it's only 150 and you can always say no later on if you don't like it

yeah but trust me you'll get in to usc with those stats alone. anyway, you never specified being in the military so in that case just apply wherever you want. i'd still think about PBL before submitting for USC but it's only 150 and you can always say no later on if you don't like it
Are you for or against PBL? Pros/Cons?

I do it at UConn and I'm for it. You should also apply to UConn. Just saying.
What do you like about PBL? I like that UConn is on a P/F system even though it's a challenging curriculum. I like that about Harvard too. I love the East Coast but it's hard to justify moving there when all my family is in the West.

Isn't Columbia P/F too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Fantastic resource- thank you for sharing!
Can't go wrong with UConn and Columbia.
Just keep in mind that P/F grading system is not actually a good thing if you want to specialize, unless the school itself is highly respected and competitive to get into. So Roseman and ECU are def not good schools if you're looking to specialize.

I am also in your position, and considering adding a few more schools. UCONN seems like a good choice from what I've read on SDN

Nope, we're Honors/Pass/Fail...from experience, if you're trying to specialize, honors/pass/fail isn't any better than traditional grading.

IMO the best system for grading is Pass/Fail unranked, assuming your program has a decent enough reputation (e.g. Harvard, UConn)
Feralis senpai is alive!!! Are you enjoying columbia so far?

Hey all- while I have dental students at Columbia and UConn here, what can you tell me about the school and how it suits students who want to specialize? I'm interested in OMFS. I interviewed at UConn last month and will interview at Columbia in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey all- while I have dental students at Columbia and UConn here, what can you tell me about the school and how it suits students who want to specialize? I'm interested in OMFS. I interviewed at UConn last month and will interview at Columbia in a few weeks.

Tough decision.

Last edited:
Those are definitely some major reasons why UConn is better than Columbia price-wise, with regards to class size, and for OMFS placement. Just a few questions:
1. Do these dental schools have the same reputability among OMFS residency programs?
2. Will the newly implemented TBL and pure P/F program at UConn make it more difficult for students to stand out than the Honors/Pass/ Fail program at Columbia?
3. Where do graduates of each program often match?
4. Also which schools have more scholarship opportunities? I know that Penn has the Deans scholarship but I haven't heard from them.

2. Will the newly implemented TBL and pure P/F program at UConn make it more difficult for students to stand out than the Honors/Pass/ Fail program at Columbia?

Well UConn has always been P/F. That hasn't changed. And the results speak for themselves (see my previous post with the stats).

Last edited:
Well UConn has always been P/F. That hasn't changed. And the results speak for themselves (see my previous post with the stats).

Also, as @FeralisExtremum , a student at Columbia, said:

CDM didn't release that information, but UConn did:
  • New York Presbyterian Hospital
  • Univ. of Alabama, Birmingham
  • Mayo Clinic
  • Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
  • Univ. of Cincinnati Medical Center
  • Kings County Hospital Center
Judging from the fact that six places are listed and seven students matched, I'm guessing two UConn grads went to the same residency.
Thanks, Incis0r!!!

Thanks, Incis0r!!!

No problem. I have a major crush on UConn's program :) . So I like to help out any prospective students. Talking about how awesome UConn is makes me happy.

UConn has a wonderful reputation. If you want more evidence, check out DentalTown. From what I've read, it's an extremely rigorous and difficult program. But that is exactly what makes it to rewarding.

My favorite quote from a UConn grad (I don't remember who said it) is: "Only when you get out will you truly appreciate what UConn has done for you."

I have the exact same stats as you..haven't heard back from Harvard or USC. App complete early Sept.