This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Thompson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, I was wondering if someone could tell me my chances... I know, another thread like this. However, I would really appreciate information, honestly, based upon my personal profile.

23 year old Colorado resident
Studied integrative physiology at CU Boulder with a minor in Spanish and a certificate in Public Health. Received a 3.48 cGPA, about 3.42 sGPA. Did 2 years research in a lab. About 50 hours of shadowing and about 200 hours of volunteering at a hospital. Passionate about running, ran 2 marathons and coached HS kids. Worked as a scribe and did a semester of post bacc where I received a 3.7 in a course load of heavy science with about 15 credit hours of work. Would prefer MD. Also, would appreciate suggestions and suggestions of MD schools that would accept someone like me that has a low GPA, but a good MCAT (34) and a passion to be a great doc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So 3.48/34 are your official stats or is that MCAT a hypothetical/projected score?

Colorado only matriculates 16% of IS applicants, but everything you have posted has the potential to be consistent with success if you apply broadly and have a well written application.

https://services.aamc.org/msar/home
Get this and start looking at schools that take at least 25% OOS with MCAT medians similar to yours and where your GPA is above the 10th percentile(you can be a bit flexible with the 10th percentile cut off, particularly if you have an upward trend). You can find at least 25 schools that fit this category; feel free to post back that list on here if you want input.

Those are official stats.
Thanks for getting back to me, I'll take a look at the MSAR and post back what I find!

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is just a prelim list of schools. The majority of them have higher GPA's than I have (no surprise) but I have a higher MCAT than is average at the schools. Do I have a better chance in one state over the other (minus Colorado) and do you guys have any other suggestions of schools? Thank you!

Colorado (I’m instate so might as well try)
Drexel
U of Kentucky (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
U of Utah (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
U of Tennessee (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
UC-Davis (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
BU (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
UNC (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Rush (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Wake Forest (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
U of Minn Twin Cities or Duluth (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
U of Arkansas (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Georgia ((below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Houston (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Toledo (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
WVU (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
South Carolina (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Mercer (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
GW (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Jefferson (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Tulane (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Illinois (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Texas Tech (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
Brody (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
MSU (below average GPA but above average MCAT)
UTSA (below average GPA but above average MCAT)

You really need to go back to the MSAR. You have so many state schools on there and in general state schools prefer the home team over OOS students.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

okay, thank you! Private schools seem like they might be the better bet then?

Reactions: 1 user