Chances at socal residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greattoiletry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently an MS3, originally from california but going to med school out of state. I go to a top 20-25 school, Step 1 of 24*, no publications, yet to take Step 2. 3rd year grades half honors and half HP so far. UCLA is probably a reach for me, but what are my chances at USC, UCI, Cedars, UCLA-Harbor, UCSD?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
USC: 70.86573%, UCI: 68.92234%, Cedars: 73.928857%, UCLA-Harbor: 76.121154%, UCSD: 49.77639% :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Currently an MS3, originally from california but going to med school out of state. I go to a top 20-25 school, Step 1 of 235, no publications, yet to take Step 2. 3rd year grades half honors and half HP so far. UCLA is probably a reach for me, but what are my chances at USC, UCI, Cedars, UCLA-Harbor, UCSD?

We would look at you at UCI just based on your STEP1 score alone. Can't say about other places. Your best bet is that if you really want to come back to Socal, you should do aways 4th year at the Socal programs. Most programs will probably give you an interview invite by you just showing interest and taking time to do an away.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO UCSD is on par with UCLA competitive wise. That being said you could prob get interviews at all so cal programs but I would probably expect UCI or USC. You can do better than harbor.

Bottom Line is, WGAF what your "chances" are. If you're interested in a program go ahead and apply. Worst case scenario is you don't get an interview or don't match. The only sure thing is that you won't match at 100% of the programs you don't apply to.

We had a few cali anesthesiology applicants from my mid tier school. Everyone was in your step 1 range +/- 10 points. Collectively we got interviews at every cali school except Stanford and Harbor (??) .

I personally got interviews at Ucla ucsf uci usc this was before I had taken step 2. I think you can end up in socal if you are willing to take any socal school.

Pm me if you want more info!