Chances? (below average GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkin13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm wondering how much of a chance I have at MDs with a pretty weak cGPA (3.5) and sGPA (3.2). MCAT is a 34Q (13 on Verbal, 11 on Biology, 10 on Physical Sciences).

Another problem is that my EC's are weak on the medical side of things. I only have 25 hours of shadowing, and even less clinical volunteer experience. I worked (wasn't actually doing the research myself) in a research lab for three years, so while I wasn't directly involved with the lab's publications I did learn several surgical techniques and had significant experience working with rats.

My non-medical volunteering and leadership is pretty good though, with more than 400 hours of volunteer work. This includes going on a week long service trip to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, being a freshmen move-in and Welcome Week leader, and having a mentoring role in a social skills-development group for teenagers with high-functioning autism. I have also held a number of leadership positions over the last three years in our school's service fraternity (which has hundreds of members), and I was an Honors program freshmen mentor for two years.

So, basically, do these ECs balance each other out, and does the MCAT make up enough for the low GPA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'm wondering how much of a chance I have at MDs with a pretty weak cGPA (3.5) and sGPA (3.2). MCAT is a 34Q (13 on Verbal, 11 on Biology, 10 on Physical Sciences).

Another problem is that my EC's are weak on the medical side of things. I only have 25 hours of shadowing, and even less clinical volunteer experience. I worked (wasn't actually doing the research myself) in a research lab for three years, so while I wasn't directly involved with the lab's publications I did learn several surgical techniques and had significant experience working with rats.

My non-medical volunteering and leadership is pretty good though, with more than 400 hours of volunteer work. This includes going on a week long service trip to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, being a freshmen move-in and Welcome Week leader, and having a mentoring role in a social skills-development group for teenagers with high-functioning autism. I have also held a number of leadership positions over the last three years in our school's service fraternity (which has hundreds of members), and I was an Honors program freshmen mentor for two years.

So, basically, do these ECs balance each other out, and does the MCAT make up enough for the low GPA? Thanks!

your ECs seem solid/good (but more hospital volunteering will be very helpful - aim for around 100 hours)

now, the numbers. your cGPA is fine, and your MCAT is great (thought not exceptional). i believe MD acceptance is very possible, assuming you apply early and broadly and that you beef up the clinical side of your ECs.

a lot of my peers at my undergrad got into upper-mid/top tier med schools with a 3.3 sGPA and MCAT scores ranging from the low 30s to high 30s. however, all of them had very strong, broad, and unique ECs that cover all the bases.

lastly, when are you applying? if possible, i'll wait until 2014 to send the primary and use the time now to build up clinical ECs and GPA repair.

good luck

Thanks so much for the response! I'm a senior now and I hope to apply this summer. I'm actually putting in applications for Americorps for the year that I would have off, so there wouldn't be much time to add anything else to the resume (and it would be too late anyways, right?). So basically, my only opportunity left to get the clinical experience is this upcoming semester!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your best shot will be with the low, possibly mid-teir schools, and possibly your state school as well. The low sGPA may hurt, but it's definitely worth one application cycle to see if you can get some love. Just do your reserach for the friendliest schools for you.

i think your best shot will be with the low, possibly mid-teir schools, and possibly your state school as well. The low sgpa may hurt, but it's definitely worth one application cycle to see if you can get some love. Just do your reserach for the friendliest schools for you.

+1