Chances? CA resident 3.95 cGPA 3.96 bpcm 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

Getting on a plane in a couple of hours for a two week trip in Asia but I just got my MCAT results back and figured I should post one of these up now that I have the majority of my app up.
Biology Major at mid-tier UC
3.95 cGPA
3.96 bpcm
32 MCAT (balanced)

Extracurriculars:
-210 hours at a hands-on clniical internship at a hospital
-500 hours working in lab dealing with traumatic brain injury
-100 hours in lab dealing with protein conformations
*no pubs in either labs
-Week long Medical-aid trip to Honduras (helped fundraise for supplies as well as my own travel/living expenses)
-Majority of early years spent with off-campus Christian ministry, which I have since moved on from. Not sure if I'll include in my apps.

I graduated last year, so I am taking two gap years. Since graduation, I have been studying for MCAT and continuing my research at the traumatic brain injury lab mentioned before. Unfortunately, I didn't do too great on my MCAT. I averaged around 36-37 on the AAMC FL but I relied too heavily on the PS section which I didn't do too well on in the actual MCAT. When I get back from my travelling I plan on getting a job at a biotech firm and continuing that until I, hopefully, matriculate.

My extracurriculars are a bit weak and I had planned on leaning on my GPA and MCAT. I can't really do that now, at least in regards to the latter.
I compiled a lengthy list based on what people with similar stats as I on other posts with minor adjustments based off research from MSAR. I am aware that some schools have minor rules, oos unfriendly, etc, that I may not be aware of. Any help narrowing this list would be helpful. Also any help in determining how safe I am in matriculating would be nice. I feel like my hope for staying in California is gone.

UCI,UCSD,UCD,UCR, UCSF, USC ( Just wanted to put all the California schools on top because I'll probably apply to all except SF)

"Safe?"
Einstein
Creighton
Chicago Franklin
Drexel
Loyola Chicago
Rush
Wake Forest
Creighton
Albany
NY Medical
Jefferson
Medical college Georgia
Med College Wisconsin
Ohio
Oregon
Tufts

"Reach"
Emory
St. Louis
Pittsberg
Columbia
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Johns Hopkins

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs are fantastic, and a 32 MCAT is good enough for UCI and UCD. The other CA schools are less likely because of your MCAT and ECs, which are definitely solid, but nothing spectacular.

The good news is that your combined GPA and MCAT is very competitive for most of the mid-tier schools outside California. You'll definitely be a doctor; you just may not get a California medical education.

Reactions: 1 user
Good enough news to put my mind at ease while on the plane haha. Thanks

Good enough news to put my mind at ease while on the plane haha. Thanks

No problem! The median stats for ACCEPTED applicants are 3.6-3.7 GPA and 31 MCAT. Your stats are well above the average of accepted students.