Chances for 4.0 28P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountaineer12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got my MCAT scores and I did a little bit worse than I expected, but I really don't want to take it again. I'm completely okay with DO, I just wanted to get some feedback in specific schools and such. Thanks in advance!

GPA: 4.0 (it should stay the same)
MCAT: 28P (9, 9, 10)
Major: biology
University: it's probably obvious from my username that it's West Virginia University
Residency: Pennsylvania
Volunteering: around 100 hours in ER over a year, writing for an online science journal (I'm not sure in hours, maybe 50?)
Shadowing: about 26 hours now, trying to get to 40-50
Research: almost two years in genetics lab doing my own project with a proposal and thesis, two summer undergraduate research programs (one that I got invited to present my poster at a conference outside of the program)
Other ECs: staff writer at the university newsletter (over a year), tutor at the university writing center (year and a half)

I know MD may be a long shot, but I'm considering applying to WVU, maybe Marshall, are there any others I should even try for with this MCAT score? Should I be good for most DO schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I just got my MCAT scores and I did a little bit worse than I expected, but I really don't want to take it again. I'm completely okay with DO, I just wanted to get some feedback in specific schools and such. Thanks in advance!

University: it's probably obvious from my username that it's West Virginia University
Volunteering: around 100 hours in ER over a year, writing for an online science journal (I'm not sure in hours, maybe 50?)
Research: almost two years in genetics lab doing my own project with a proposal and thesis, two summer undergraduate research programs (one that I got invited to present my poster at a conference outside of the program)
Other ECs: staff writer at the university newsletter (over a year), tutor at the university writing center (year and a half)

I know MD may be a long shot, but I'm considering applying to WVU, maybe Marshall, are there any others I should even try for with this MCAT score? Should I be good for most DO schools? Thanks!

I suggest you retake your mcat.
DO schools, you are solid.
You can still get into plenty of MD schools with your score. ask docbrill or flodhi1. they were below 30s but got multiple acceptances and many interviews.

I think I would rather go DO than have to take again. My AAMC average was around a 30 so I'm afraid if I take again I'll go even lower. Thanks for the confidence on MD schools! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Chances for MD were > 66% with your stats. With a 4.0/28, here are some other MD schools to consider, if you fit their "mission":

UKentucky, UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Keck, FIU (13% OOS, but expected to rise), Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Albany, GWU,
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (newer)
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU (new), Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo,
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Thanks so much! I will definitely be buying the MSAR tonight to look into these schools.

Do you think there are any holes in ECs and such that I should be working on?

Thanks so much! I will definitely be buying the MSAR tonight to look into these schools.

Do you think there are any holes in ECs and such that I should be working on?

I had a 28 and a 3.82 GPA, PA resident and I have received 6 MD interviews and 5 DO. I got into all the DO and have 1 MD acceptance and declined to interview at a few of the MD schools because I am very happy with my choice. I hope you do well this upcoming cycle...the MCAT blows but atleast you're done with it now.

I had a 28 and a 3.82 GPA, PA resident and I have received 6 MD interviews and 5 DO. I got into all the DO and have 1 MD acceptance and declined to interview at a few of the MD schools because I am very happy with my choice. I hope you do well this upcoming cycle...the MCAT blows but atleast you're done with it now.

That makes me feel much better! Could you tell me what schools your were successful at since our numbers and residency are so similar?

That makes me feel much better! Could you tell me what schools your were successful at since our numbers and residency are so similar?

MD:

Drexel (Acceptance)
Penn State (Interview Invite -- Withdrew)
Cooper (Interview Invite -- Rejected)
WVU (Interview Invite --- Waitlisted---- Withdrew)
Rosalind Franklin (Interview Invite --- Withdrew)
TCMC (Interview Invite --- Withdrew)
Einstein (Interview Invite ---- Waitlisted)

DO:

LECOM-ERIE (Accepted)
PCOM-PA (Accepted)
TUORO-NY (Accepted)
CCOM (Interview Invite --- Withdrew)

My suggestion is apply early and express your interest (i.e. letters of interest and continued update letters) to these schools in August and throughout the application cycle...I know that really helped me for Drexel and Einstein. Good Luck!!!!!

MD:

Drexel (Acceptance)
Penn State (Interview Invite -- Withdrew)
Cooper (Interview Invite -- Rejected)
WVU (Interview Invite --- Waitlisted---- Withdrew)
Rosalind Franklin (Interview Invite --- Withdrew)
TCMC (Interview Invite --- Withdrew)
Einstein (Interview Invite ---- Waitlisted)

DO:

LECOM-ERIE (Accepted)
PCOM-PA (Accepted)
TUORO-NY (Accepted)
CCOM (Interview Invite --- Withdrew)

My suggestion is apply early and express your interest (i.e. letters of interest and continued update letters) to these schools in August and throughout the application cycle...I know that really helped me for Drexel and Einstein. Good Luck!!!!!

Thanks so much, a lot of these schools were ones I was already looking into so the idea of having even the slightest chance with this MCAT score makes me feel much more confident. Thanks again!

Thanks so much, a lot of these schools were ones I was already looking into so the idea of having even the slightest chance with this MCAT score makes me feel much more confident. Thanks again!

I should let you know that I took a year off to work at the NIH as well. That probabaly helped me out a little too.

I should let you know that I took a year off to work at the NIH as well. That probabaly helped me out a little too.

I'll have a year off too, hopefully I can find something even half as impressive. Congrats on having such a successful application season!

Do you think applying early decision to WVU would be a viable option? A second year there said with my numbers being better than the qualifications I would be a safe bet as everyone who applied early decision got in, including an out of state guy from her class. Thoughts? Thanks again!

Policies and applicant pools change from year to year. Go talk to someone in the advising office or, ideally, even make an appointment with one of the med school dean for input, and get a more authoritative take on the situation. Keep in mind: WVU aims to train docs who plan to stay in WV.