Chances for AOA Surgical residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuyaaa09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of AOA general surgical residency: lower 25th percentile of class, Comlex 1 of 559, All Pass and 1 HP on 3rd yr clerkship ( our school only considers NMBE shelves for our clerkship grades). I have mostly exceeds expectations, outstanding and superlative comments from Preceptors but this will only figure in the MSPE. I will be taking COMLEX 2 this June. I will likely get excellent LORs.
My alternative is IM residency in allopathic residency. My USMLE Step 1 is 219. I prefer Allopathic residency to get into Gastro or Pulmo fellowship eventually. Should I take USMLE 2?
Third choice is DO program IM residency but would this limit my chances of getting into Gastro or Pulmo fellowship? Please advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what you're concerned about. Chances for AOA GenSurg seems pretty good to me based on the most recent AOA match report (pg. 42).

If I were you, I'd apply broadly AOA GenSurg and ACGME IM. If you want an IM fellowship, you should aim for either university programs that will offer you research opportunities or a place with in house fellowships that are known for taking their own.

You may also want to consider applying ACGME GenSurg, just to increase your chances of getting it, but it'll be a steep uphill battle.

Not sure what you're concerned about. Chances for AOA GenSurg seems pretty good to me based on the most recent AOA match report (pg. 42).

If I were you, I'd apply broadly AOA GenSurg and ACGME IM. If you want an IM fellowship, you should aim for either university programs that will offer you research opportunities or a place with in house fellowships that are known for taking their own.

You may also want to consider applying ACGME GenSurg, just to increase your chances of getting it, but it'll be a steep uphill battle.

It's a shame that the most recent AOA match report is ridiculously outdated. Given that my information is purely anecdotal, I believe that nearly all of the surgical specialties have a much higher board score average now.

It's a shame that the most recent AOA match report is ridiculously outdated. Given that my information is purely anecdotal, I believe that nearly all of the surgical specialties have a much higher board score average now.

Yeah. Its funny, the report from before it was literally the year before (2011). I was expecting a 2014 one, but it doesn't look like its going to happen, maybe we'll get 2015 sometime next year...

Don't forget these are averages. I hear from many of the more competitive programs that <600 or <650 is hard to even get looked at, but overall the average for GenSurg would still come out to ~520-560. Obviously for the subspecialties its probably closer to the 600-650 range depending on what you'd want.

Noticed in the AOA match report that there is one Proctology spot in the country, and apparently it went unfilled.

So... anyone wanna explain to me what's up with that? What the heck is proctology? And why did no one apply for it?
cosmo+kramer+proctology1394269478.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
I am not looking for Surgical Subspecialty. I am just considering General Surgery. Is AOA Gen Surgery Residency pyramidal or do most graduate barring any major problems?

Upon posting on Allopathic forum, I was told of low chances of me matching in IM ACGME. If I apply in IM and General Surgery through AOA. Would it look bad and would limit my chances of matching to either one? I am considering applying to IM as a backup. I am afraid of just applying solely to Gen Surg AOA.