Chances for big 4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony729

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I would like to know my chances of getting accepted to either Ross, SGU, AUC or AUA. I graduated with honors, a 3.8 cgpa and a 3.6 sgpa. I have over 1000 hrs of shadowing and 500 hrs of volunteering. As well as great LOR's. My Mcat score is 20, bummed but hoping i have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

@tony729 Retake the MCAT and apply to US MD/DO... 24-27--apply only DO and 28+--apply to both... You will be making a mistake going to one of the big 4 with that GPA....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You need to retake the MCAT. If you could even bring your score up to a 24 you could probably get into a DO school. Don't do v the islands if you can help it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been studying for months but cant break 21 on practice tests. I dont know if 24 is possible that is why i am considering Caribbean schools.

I have been studying for months but cant break 21 on practice tests. I dont know if 24 is possible that is why i am considering Caribbean schools.

How is it that you get a 3.8 GPA but can't break a 21 on the practice tests?

is english your first language? a lot of non-native speakers are great at sciences but have problem with the language

You must not give up. Do what you have to do to raise that MCAT score. If you have to take a loan to pay for a professional MCAT prep course or MCAT tutors, then do so. This is your life and your future, don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

It's not that hard to raise your MCAT from 20 to 24. You can do it. Believe in yourself. Let's say you receive a 24, I suggest you apply to the following schools:

1. Liberty
2. CUSOM
3. Marian COM
4. Rocky Vista

You can find more schools with the help of other SDN members. Apply to at least 10 DO schools. Try your best to have some DO shadowing experience and a DO LOR.

You can do this, forget the Caribbean.

How is it that you get a 3.8 GPA but can't break a 21 on the practice tests?
It can happen... The MCAT is somewhat an English exam (VR, BS), but PS less so... It can be hard sometimes for ESOL students to get a good score. I have seen people who score 10+ in BS/PS, but can't break a 6 in VR...

Thank you guys for the input. I have been studying to retake the mcat. I have been scoring 21 on the kaplan tests lately, don't want to use up the aamc to early. Do you guys think my scores might be a bit higher.

Thank you guys for the input. I have been studying to retake the mcat. I have been scoring 21 on the kaplan tests lately, don't want to use up the aamc to early. Do you guys think my scores might be a bit higher.

kaplan scores are usually inflated compared too aamc scores. can you give us the breakdown for the 21?

If you are seriously studying for months and can't break a 21, you either have the worst study habits I've ever heard of, or medical school isn't the place for you.

If you are seriously studying for months and can't break a 21, you either have the worst study habits I've ever heard of, or medical school isn't the place for you.
Thanks