Chances for canadian student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnyboy6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a canadian student, and my stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.97 (Canadian students have a different GPA scale, according to AMCAS). Both science and non science are above 3.9 (no grades below A...yay!)
MCAT: 32S (10VR, 10BS, 12PS)--I feel as though this is a weak score.....
ECs:
Clinical/volunteering: ER work (3 years), outpatient chronic pain management clinic (3 summers), 1 week shadowing an optometrist
Leadership: Student council (4 years), created a student financial aid system to fund student leadership/volunteer initiatives, bargained a collective agreement with a workplace union, academic counselor (1 year so far, provide one-on-one academic counseling, workshops for first year students, etc), organized leadership conferences, various ad-hoc committees
Research: 4th year honors thesis, 1 summer of endocrinology research
Other: Traveled to Bolivia (international development work), Unite for Sight in Ghana (fundraised $3000+, 500 eye glasses, worked in ophthalmology clinics in Ghana, took global health courses)
Reference letters: University president, director of volunteer services at hospital, physician with whom I worked (in canada, we don't have a pre-med committee to provide a letter)

Unfortunately, I haven't taken a year of english, and I will take organic chemistry 2 this year. I know I'm limited, but I feel as though my MCAT and life experiences are weak, compared to some of the powerhouses here.

Any advice???

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm a canadian student, and my stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.97 (Canadian students have a different GPA scale, according to AMCAS). Both science and non science are above 3.9 (no grades below A...yay!)
MCAT: 32S (10VR, 10BS, 12PS)--I feel as though this is a weak score.....
ECs:
Clinical/volunteering: ER work (3 years), outpatient chronic pain management clinic (3 summers), 1 week shadowing an optometrist
Leadership: Student council (4 years), created a student financial aid system to fund student leadership/volunteer initiatives, bargained a collective agreement with a workplace union, academic counselor (1 year so far, provide one-on-one academic counseling, workshops for first year students, etc), organized leadership conferences, various ad-hoc committees
Research: 4th year honors thesis, 1 summer of endocrinology research
Other: Traveled to Bolivia (international development work), Unite for Sight in Ghana (fundraised $3000+, 500 eye glasses, worked in ophthalmology clinics in Ghana, took global health courses)
Reference letters: University president, director of volunteer services at hospital, physician with whom I worked (in canada, we don't have a pre-med committee to provide a letter)

Unfortunately, I haven't taken a year of english, and I will take organic chemistry 2 this year. I know I'm limited, but I feel as though my MCAT and life experiences are weak, compared to some of the powerhouses here.

Any advice???

well you need to take english and ochem for most, if not, all medical schools.

apply next cycle.

Also get 2 sciences and 1 non science professor letters.

Retake the MCAT if you think you can get 3+ higher.

If you haven't started an AMCAS application already, it's pretty late.

You also do really need letters of reference from university profs who have taught you.

I don't think your MCAT score will be a hinderence, but your BS score could be a little higher.

I'm a Canadian applicant this cycle. When you do decide to apply, make sure you really research the schools well and apply broadly to those that accept a good number of Canadian applicants each year.

Good luck next cycle!:luck:

P.S. I took English this summer so could apply to more schools, as choices are quite limited without it. It's not so bad, just get it over with :p