Chances for dermatology after a pediatric residency..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm2022

Reaction score
I am currently a PGY 2 in paediatrics and I am very interested in pursuing a dermatology residency after the completion of my pediatric residency. It is my hopes to eventually become an academic paediatric dermatologist. I am currently wondering what are my chances.
My USMLE step I score was 256 and USMLE Step II score was 278.
I have 7 publications in peds rheum-derm, allergy and immunology, and infectious disease.
Is there any chance for me to pursue peds derm? I'd very much appreciate your advise. Or is it impossible for me to pursue that dream?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very possible. No one wants to do Peds derm. I have met multiple dermis that did this. Most of them ultimately did not go into Peds derm ultimately

Possible. Just be wary (as skindoc pointed out) that programs will be wary of your intentions. They'll possibly think you're using peds as a backdoor into derm. Just be aware that prospective derm candidates know how to play the game and a good number say they are interested in peds derm. Some genuinely are I'm sure, and some are saying it to make them a more attractive candidate I'm sure.

One of my co-residents went this route. She ended up doing peds fellowship and now is in academics. Definitely possible.

I believe Peds Derm fellowships go unfilled. If you make it to that point, you'll pretty much have your pick of where you want to do your training.

It doesn't hurt to try. If you don't get a spot, you can always do general peds or go for an allergy fellowship or something. Go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very possible. No one wants to do Peds derm. I have met multiple dermis that did this. Most of them ultimately did not go into Peds derm ultimately
What did they end up doing then?

Last edited:
Possible. Just be wary (as skindoc pointed out) that programs will be wary of your intentions. They'll possibly think you're using peds as a backdoor into derm. Just be aware that prospective derm candidates know how to play the game and a good number say they are interested in peds derm. Some genuinely are I'm sure, and some are saying it to make them a more attractive candidate I'm sure.

One of my co-residents went this route. She ended up doing peds fellowship and now is in academics. Definitely possible.

I believe Peds Derm fellowships go unfilled. If you make it to that point, you'll pretty much have your pick of where you want to do your training.

It doesn't hurt to try. If you don't get a spot, you can always do general peds or go for an allergy fellowship or something. Go for it.
So your co-resident finished 3 yr peds residency then 3 year derm residency followed by fellowship and then was able to work in academia afterwards?

Do you know what are obstacles that I may encounter along the way.

So your co-resident finished 3 yr peds residency then 3 year derm residency followed by fellowship and then was able to work in academia afterwards?

Do you know what are obstacles that I may encounter along the way.
That is correct.

Your main obstacle is getting into a derm residency. If you can pass peds boards you should be able to pass derm boards.

If you finish derm, then peds fellowship, academic centers will be basically begging you to come there (not really, but you catch my drift).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
And not to steal skindoc's response, but people who don't do peds afterwards mainly just practice gen derm. The compensation for peds derm is lower compared to gen derm. Thus, peds derm a lot of times ends up being an academic position where one is salaried with the rest of the derm folks.

Private practice:
1. See all kids and earn less money
2. See everyone, get paid more

I'm guessing at least a good number of private practice folks might rather not see peds derm patients at all.

Private practice sees kids, but you don't need to do a fellowship to do that. If you think you have a zebra in a kiddo in private practice, you refer to your nearest academic center which has a peds derm person. That's why folks don't typically do peds fellowships. Why waste a year of attending salary training for something that is going to earn less money if you practice solely that field in private practice? Thus the typical pathway of peds derm fellowship to academics.

Reactions: 1 users
That is correct.

Your main obstacle is getting into a derm residency. If you can pass peds boards you should be able to pass derm boards.

If you finish derm, then peds fellowship, academic centers will be basically begging you to come there (not really, but you catch my drift).
Thank you! Do you how may I improve my chances for a derm residency?

Thank you! Do you how may I improve my chances for a derm residency?
You have the scores and some pubs. Mainly just do things that prove your interest.

The most important thing now is probably networking.

Start here if you haven't already:

Reactions: 1 user
You have the scores and some pubs. Mainly just do things that prove your interest.

Thank you so much for the link!

I was also wondering if you know which residency programs are willing to accept residents who have already completed one residency?