Chances for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolHope04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA: 3.32
cGPA: 3.62
MCAT: Bombed first time (low-mid 20 range). Retaking early summer, expecting and working for at least 30, realistically.

Leadership ECs:
-President of honor's dorm freshman year
-SGA Health and safety committee sophomore year
-Joined children's mentor organization freshman year, elected Director sophomore year, still director and have expanded and improved the organization
-Best Buddies Treasurer junior and senior year

Research:
Biomedical research assistant for the past two years, 450 hours, strong LOR from the professor I worked with closely.

Etc.:
150 hours of shadowing
Studied abroad in Italy
Work part-time as a server

My main concern is my first MCAT score. I was consistently making a much higher score on practice tests, but completely freaked out on test day. It was a mental thing, completely. I feel much better prepared this round and expect a much higher score.
How much will the first MCAT score affect me? Will they understand it was a fluke as long as I do much better this round?
I'm in state in Alabama and plan on applying to both UAB and USA. I have no doubt that my work in ECs is substantial enough, I've done plenty in that area. My cGPA is about average, sGPA a little low. I have only made one 'C' in college, but being a psychology major, that grade affected my sGPA drastically.
As far as interviews go, I'm not worried at all. In fact, I love interviews. I could talk to a wall and have no problem talking to people and don't expect any issues with med school interviews. Interviewers tend to really like me.

What are my chances for MD schools? What can I do to improve my chances? Will my old MCAT hinder me greatly, even if I show immense improvement this round?

Members don't see this ad.

Your sGPA is low for MD and DO. If you can score above a 30 on the MCAT you will have a chance at some schools with lower averages. I would consider doing an SMP and definitely beefing up your EC's. Retake the science classes that you did poorly in at a community college.

Your sGPA is low for MD and DO. If you can score above a 30 on the MCAT you will have a chance at some schools with lower averages. I would consider doing an SMP and definitely beefing up your EC's. Retake the science classes that you did poorly in at a community college.

Yeah, I realize the sGPA is low, but it is still in the range of acceptances. I think that if I am not screened out (which I shouldn't be based on the schools I am planning on applying to) it would still be acceptable, pending above average in the other areas.
I spoke with the head of admissions for a medical school who told me that retaking classes, while it would raise my gpa slightly, wouldn't make a difference to adcoms. Basically they would think, "Of course she made an A when she retook the class, she took the class two times." And the only class I did poorly in was Physics I, so that in itself would not be enough to raise my sGPA much in general.

As of now my plans are to start working full time in the hospital while still pursuing medical volunteer work, although since I'm applying this round, anything I do won't be on the application, at least not the primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I realize the sGPA is low, but it is still in the range of acceptances. I think that if I am not screened out (which I shouldn't be based on the schools I am planning on applying to) it would still be acceptable, pending above average in the other areas.
I spoke with the head of admissions for a medical school who told me that retaking classes, while it would raise my gpa slightly, wouldn't make a difference to adcoms. Basically they would think, "Of course she made an A when she retook the class, she took the class two times." And the only class I did poorly in was Physics I, so that in itself would not be enough to raise my sGPA much in general.

As of now my plans are to start working full time in the hospital while still pursuing medical volunteer work, although since I'm applying this round, anything I do won't be on the application, at least not the primary.

Your second point is pretty much just wrong. It would be foolish not to do something that would improve your chances almost everywhere just because of the information one person on an adcom gave you. They often do not even look at your grades semester by semester. You are contradicting what you said in your first post regarding how doing poorly in one class affected your sGPA by saying that retaking will not improve your sGPA. DO schools will actually only count the higher grade while AMCAS averages them. If you did poorly in PS on your MCAT, I am willing to bet it was because your physics knowledge was lacking. Retake physics 1. You will review the material and raise your GPA. It is a win-win. You are banking on improving your MCAT score by a significant amount by submission time. This is just a downright bad idea unless you are consistently scoring mid 30s on practice exams.

Last edited:
The average increase in MCAT scores from test 1 to test 2 is below 4 points increase (I believe the real number might even be closer to 2-3 points increase) (my source would be AAMC MCAT statistics which you can find online). If you're thinking you're going to gain 8-10 points, I'd ask if you're consistently scoring at least a 32.

With that being said, if you do manage a ~28 on the MCAT I'd say you'll get some DO interviews.

I only see MD happening with an early app, strong personal statement, and a 33+ MCAT in addition to highlighting current activities in your secondary applications.

100% concur. Your situation is fixable.