Chances for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnkymn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Biology major, Chemistry minor
sGPA and cGPA: 3.8

MCAT: 28 O (balanced scores)

EC's:
~150 hours volunteering at a surgical waiting desk
Will have ~50 hours volunteering in an ER
Around 20 hours of shadowing Orthopedic surgeons (one MD and two DO's)
Other than that, a member of various honors societies and played some intramural sports.
No research.

Any feedback/ideas for things I could do to better my chances would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

EC's:
Other than that, a member of various honors societies and played some intramural sports.
No research.

Any feedback/ideas for things I could do to better my chances would be much appreciated!

Retake the MCAT and apply MD.

Your chances at DO are excellent

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

EC's:
No research.

Excellent chances at DO... 50/50 chances at MD if you apply to low-to-mid tiers schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick responses - my main concern is lack of confidence that I can get good letters of rec. I don't really have any science professors I know on a personal basis :( Also, should I really not be that concerned with my lack of EC's?

Thanks for the quick responses - my main concern is lack of confidence that I can get good letters of rec. I don't really have any science professors I know on a personal basis :( Also, should I really not be that concerned with my lack of EC's?

ECs are weak, but good enough with your stats. Consider some non-medical volunteering

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Add shadowing. Add non-medical volunteering. Get DO LOR. Apply DO. Watch acceptances rain down upon you.

Or do all of the above, retake MCAT for 30+ and get an MD.