Chances For NY MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rossg01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here. Im currently a sophomore Biochemistry major looking to go to medical school. Just wanted to get some advice and see what everyone thinks. I'm not looking at any top tier schools, just at schools in the New York area. I had a poor freshmen year due to a heavy schedule but I've began bouncing back from that this year. Here are my stats:

Freshmen 1: 2.9
Chemistry - A
Physics - C+
Calc 1 - C
Philosophy - B+
Writing - B+

Freshmen 2: 2.75
Chemistry 2 - B+
Physics 2 - C
Calc 2 - D
History - A
Philosophy 2 - B+

Sophomore 1: 3.75
Orgo 1 - B/B+ Lab
Analytical Chem - A
Religion - A
Biology - A

I took no AP's in high school so I have had to play catch up with my pre-req's. I've been involved in research since the first week of freshmen year and have done around 60 hours of shadowing a surgeon in NYC. As I said, freshmen year was rough and I've been working a lot harder to bring my gpa back up. Currently taking Orgo 2, Bio 2, and 3 other cores. On pace to take Biochem and genetics as a junior and Pchem as a senior. What are my chances at MD/DO?

Members don't see this ad.

That D's not going to look very favorable to any adcom. I would suggest retaking some of your freshman classes during summers. It's great that you're pulling your grades up; keep up the good work!

Other than that, do some volunteering, prepare well for your MCAT and keep up with the research/shadowing.

i would retake all Cs and D, aim for As from now on. This is easier said than done, but honestly i would retake all those classes because Cs kill the gPA. You seem to be on the right track!! so just get As on the retakes and you will be golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maintain that upward trend, as evidenced by your most recent semester, and you should be fine for most of the NY schools.

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Im currently a sophomore Biochemistry major looking to go to medical school. Just wanted to get some advice and see what everyone thinks. I'm not looking at any top tier schools, just at schools in the New York area. I had a poor freshmen year due to a heavy schedule but I've began bouncing back from that this year. Here are my stats:

Freshmen 1: 2.9
Chemistry - A
Physics - C+
Calc 1 - C
Philosophy - B+
Writing - B+

Freshmen 2: 2.75
Chemistry 2 - B+
Physics 2 - C
Calc 2 - D
History - A
Philosophy 2 - B+

Sophomore 1: 3.75
Orgo 1 - B/B+ Lab
Analytical Chem - A
Religion - A
Biology - A

I took no AP's in high school so I have had to play catch up with my pre-req's. I've been involved in research since the first week of freshmen year and have done around 60 hours of shadowing a surgeon in NYC. As I said, freshmen year was rough and I've been working a lot harder to bring my gpa back up. Currently taking Orgo 2, Bio 2, and 3 other cores. On pace to take Biochem and genetics as a junior and Pchem as a senior. What are my chances at MD/DO?

Thanks guys! The only problem I have with retaking my calc's is I won't have any room for it and to take it in the summer would be extremely costly. I'm hoping with a continuing upward trend and a great mcat which I've began studying for already that I will be ok.

You are definitely going to need to retake the D in Calc II. D's in pre-reqs (and generally C's) = no dice according to most everyone I've talked to.

Any other opinions? I'm not sure I'll be able to retake those classes.

Graduate. Retake the classes at a SUNY/CUNY. Finger Lakes community college is an accredited SUNY school that offers a bunch of online courses that schools might accept. Call each of them to see if they do. If you are NY resident then you also get reduced tuition.

If you want a med school in NY..I assume around NYC. Get straight A's, kill MCAT, and possibly retake the courses you did very poorly in. It is good you are addressing this now though because it is certainly not too late.