Chances for Ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

why_do_trees_grow_up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally got my test results back.

USMLE I score a 240; however, with my COMLEX I ended up with a 601.

I've read in the past that 600 is around the cutoff to be offered audition rotations at most programs, so I'm just wondering if this is competitive enough a score to still go after my dream of ortho. Since I'm on the very end of the cutoff score should I start looking into other specialties as a backup?

Members don't see this ad.

I've read in the past that 600 is around the cutoff to be offered audition rotations at most programs, so I'm just wondering if this is competitive enough a score to still go after my dream of ortho. Since I'm on the very end of the cutoff score should I start looking into other specialties as a backup?
With something like ortho, you should probably always have a backup--regardless of your scores. You did well on your exams, I'd say go for it (again with a back up handy).

Reactions: 1 user
I think there's only VERY few AOA ortho programs that have 600 as their cut-off (Toledo, Pinnacle, PCOM). Then there's some at 550 (Largo, Jack Hughston, Modesto, Corvallis, Doctors) and most are around 500.

Your scores are good enough to get you in the door at most AOA programs -- just gotta knock those auditions out of the park! Best to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly suggest trying to audition for at least one ACGME program and getting a good letter. The auditions don't matter as much on the ACGME side, but having that one letter from a well known PD has the potential to get you more interviews.

Last edited:
Highly suggest trying to audition for at least one ACGME program and getting a good letter. The auditions don't matter as much on the ACGME side, but having that one letter from a well known PD has the potential to get you more interviews.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. You are wasting a precious month of audition for an ACGME program that does note even care about auditions. Use all of your audition months for AOA programs; I wouldn't even recommend applying for ACGME programs since it's just a waste of money. If you do well on your auditions and step2, you will most likely get a spot.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. You are wasting a precious month of audition for an ACGME program that does note even care about auditions. Use all of your audition months for AOA programs; I wouldn't even recommend applying for ACGME programs since it's just a waste of money. If you do well on your auditions and step2, you will most likely get a spot.

Mainly for the letter of rec, not so much the audition itself. Its a somewhat risky move, but I have seen on the forums generate more interviews than the one AOA audition. It is difficult to say how successful this tactic truly is pre-merger. It has helped those who have gone into ophthalmology since the SF match is before the AOA match.

I do concur you have a valid point.

Mainly for the letter of rec, not so much the audition itself. Its a somewhat risky move, but I have seen on the forums generate more interviews than the one AOA audition. It is difficult to say how successful this tactic truly is pre-merger. It has helped those who have gone into ophthalmology since the SF match is before the AOA match.

I do concur you have a valid point.
But who's to say that it was that LOR that tilted the scales for those applications? Could have been a number of other factors.
Since audition months are limited and AOA programs are so audition-heavy...gotta spend those months where they'll give you the highest return = AOA only.

But who's to say that it was that LOR that tilted the scales for those applications? Could have been a number of other factors.
Since audition months are limited and AOA programs are so audition-heavy...gotta spend those months where they'll give you the highest return = AOA only.

What about 3rd year electives for that instead of 4th year?

People have gotten in with less. Go for it if you want. Rotate at only DO spots as one guy said above. If you include some less desirable places you should have a good shot, especially if you complete 4 away rotations at places.

It's not a half bad idea anymore since ACGME is coming to these old AOA programs. But in general I agree, spend your time at AOA places

It's not a half bad idea anymore since ACGME is coming to these old AOA programs. But in general I agree, spend your time at AOA places
I don't think AOA going ACGME will change how they rank applicants, at least in the foreseeable future. But who knows!

How many of these Ortho programs are being retained though?

But who's to say that it was that LOR that tilted the scales for those applications? Could have been a number of other factors. Since audition months are limited and AOA programs are so audition-heavy...gotta spend those months where they'll give you the highest return = AOA only.

Many occasions residents have stated having those letters impacted their chances at getting an interview. As to how much of a role it plays is anyones guess. There was one person in the opth threads who more recently who rotated at an ACGME program and matched into the same program. I still feel like the risk of that one ACGME is worth the reward of a potentially higher quality residency and generation of a greater amount of interviews.

Again I acknowledge your point, it makes sense it would be safer, but it sucks that your one audition only equals one interview.