General Admissions & OTCAS Chances for OT 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KateRhae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.44
Major: BA psychology GPA 3.8
Pre req GPA: 3.6
Taking the GRE in July

OT hours in four different setting...total about 400 hours.
Summer job at a hospital internship and special needs summer camp.

President of Pre OT society
VP/founder of a club focusing on special needs education
Lots of other school activities

I am worried about my low overall GPA. What do you guys think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the GRE in July

@KateRhae
Great stats! Where do you plan on applying?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you!
NYU, Columbia, Downstate, LIU, BU, MGH, Hofstra, UNC and MUSC.
you?

I was wondering if any current OT students or prospectives could look at my stats.. This is my second time applying and they said the main reason of my denial last year was because of my anatomy&physiology grade which was a C. I have retaken the course and received an A and B+ for the two courses. I was a student athlete at a Division I University so I struggled a little bit with grades my freshman year. I also had heart problems (now resolved by surgery) which caused me to miss a lot of class time, all explained in my personal statement. A little bit of feedback would be great!

Major: Sport's Medicine
Overall: 3.02
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6
Observation Hours: 1000+ at geriatric, pediatric, and out-patient
*Also a rehab. tech so I am working with therapists currently

Am applying to:
Shenandoah, Radford, VCU, ECU, and Lenoir-Rhyne..I want to apply to UNC or MUSC, but don't think I have a shot

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and still getting to know the ins and outs of the OT application process, so any advice or criticism would be greatly appeciated:) I'm particularly concerned about my low overall GPA and my lack of OT experience (which is in progress). Also, I'm not sure if I should retake the GRE to improve my writing, as I've heard that there's most emphasis on the writing portion of the GRE anyways.

University: UCLA
Major: BS in Physiological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.08
GRE: Quant 161, Verbal 164, Writing 4.0
Observation Hours: only 10 currently... I just recently decided to pursue OT and am still seeking places to volunteer/observe

Work: Clinical Research Coordinator at UCLA
Internships: TEACH (2 years)
Volunteer: Mobile Clinic (1 year), Global Medical Brigades in Honduras (1 week),
Extracurricular: President of Special Olympics at UCLA (4 years), Officer for UCLA Club Taekwondo
Certifications: EMT certified ,CPR/BLS/First Aid

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering if any current OT students or prospectives could look at my stats.. This is my second time applying and they said the main reason of my denial last year was because of my anatomy&physiology grade which was a C. I have retaken the course and received an A and B+ for the two courses. I was a student athlete at a Division I University so I struggled a little bit with grades my freshman year. I also had heart problems (now resolved by surgery) which caused me to miss a lot of class time, all explained in my personal statement. A little bit of feedback would be great!

Major: Sport's Medicine
Overall: 3.02
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6
Observation Hours: 1000+ at geriatric, pediatric, and out-patient
*Also a rehab. tech so I am working with therapists currently

Am applying to:
Shenandoah, Radford, VCU, ECU, and Lenoir-Rhyne..I want to apply to UNC or MUSC, but don't think I have a shot

Thoughts?

Your overall GPA is low for VCU... they are a weed out school meaning that they dont look at EVERYONES whole application only the top 100 if i remember correctly. So u need to have great GRE scores and gpa (great school tho). My suggestions would be to find schools that offer interviews to their applicants! Interviews are so vital and can really help out an application. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and still getting to know the ins and outs of the OT application process, so any advice or criticism would be greatly appeciated:) I'm particularly concerned about my low overall GPA and my lack of OT experience (which is in progress). Also, I'm not sure if I should retake the GRE to improve my writing, as I've heard that there's most emphasis on the writing portion of the GRE anyways.

University: UCLA
Major: BS in Physiological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.08
GRE: Quant 161, Verbal 164, Writing 4.0
Observation Hours: only 10 currently... I just recently decided to pursue OT and am still seeking places to volunteer/observe

Work: Clinical Research Coordinator at UCLA
Internships: TEACH (2 years)
Volunteer: Mobile Clinic (1 year), Global Medical Brigades in Honduras (1 week),
Extracurricular: President of Special Olympics at UCLA (4 years), Officer for UCLA Club Taekwondo
Certifications: EMT certified ,CPR/BLS/First Aid

Thanks in advance!

Dont retake the GRE just to get a higher writing score ... your scores seemed to be above 40% in all the sections... they are higher than mine and I got into school (plus a 4 is good... 3 seemed to be the minimum that a lot of schools want). If you have a high prereq GPA then u are good. If your last 60 credits are awesome, apply to schools that only look at the last 60 credits as opposed to your overall gpa, and also apply to schools that require interviews! Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Taking the GRE in July

Your GPA is fine, I have a 3.5 and I've gotten into 2 of the 3 schools I've heard back from so far! My advice to you is to apply to schools who do interviews. Those schools tend to take people with lower gpa's because they look more at the person as a whole. Schools that don't do interviews have less to judge you on so the decisions are more heavily weighted on gpa. My other suggestion would be to study for the GRE and aim for scores around 150 per section. Also, apply early! Good luck!

Taking the GRE in July

Hey! Your Stats are exactly the same as mine and I have gotten into two schools already, one which is one fo the top 15 schools in the country! We also have similar extracurricular activities as I worked at a special needs camp for 3 years and had plenty of leadership positions and hours! Trust me, don't worry! You are a great applicant for OT School.

However, do plenty of research on the schools that you apply too to see how the admission process is. Some schools like VCU in particular only look at the top 150 applications with the top GRE and GPA scores, therefore, it is very important that you research what schools are looking for to decide whether a school is looking for diverse and we'll rounded applicants and applicants with the top scores!

Hey! Your Stats are exactly the same as mine and I have gotten into two schools already, one which is one fo the top 15 schools in the country! We also have similar extracurricular activities as I worked at a special needs camp for 3 years and had plenty of leadership positions and hours! Trust me, don't worry! You are a great applicant for OT School.

However, do plenty of research on the schools that you apply too to see how the admission process is. Some schools like VCU in particular only look at the top 150 applications with the top GRE and GPA scores, therefore, it is very important that you research what schools are looking for to decide whether a school is looking for diverse and we'll rounded applicants and applicants with the top scores!
Thanks!!!

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!
I honestly believe your chances are very good! especially for West Coast which I believe is where u want to go based on another thread. I live in LA and will be applying to West Coast and a bunch of other schools close to where I live. Out of curiosity, why r u only applying to West Coast?

Taking the GRE in July

I have the same stats and applying to the same schools! My number one choice is NYU. So fingers crossed

I honestly believe your chances are very good! especially for West Coast which I believe is where u want to go based on another thread. I live in LA and will be applying to West Coast and a bunch of other schools close to where I live. Out of curiosity, why r u only applying to West Coast?

Thanks. I'm limiting myself a bit because I really don't want to take the GRE. I feel like it will only hurt me. I'm not a good standardized test-taker. So any school that requires that, I'm not even going to bother. I also have an awkward situation with my prerequisites, in that my stats class was taken back in 2009 and a lot of schools require prerequisites to be taken within the last 5 years. I couldn't retake the class at my college because I passed and I'd have to test back into it at a community college and math is absolutely not my subject. Haha :/. But I'm probably going to have to retake about 2 of my prerequisite classes if I don't get in.
But West Coast is my top school because everyone there from the faculty, staff, and definitely the students are so excited about the program and the future of OT. There is such positive energy; like there's something in the water at that school. It seems like something special. I've felt like I was a good fit, but I hope they see that in me too. Haha

Thanks. I'm limiting myself a bit because I really don't want to take the GRE. I feel like it will only hurt me. I'm not a good standardized test-taker. So any school that requires that, I'm not even going to bother. I also have an awkward situation with my prerequisites, in that my stats class was taken back in 2009 and a lot of schools require prerequisites to be taken within the last 5 years. I couldn't retake the class at my college because I passed and I'd have to test back into it at a community college and math is absolutely not my subject. Haha :/. But I'm probably going to have to retake about 2 of my prerequisite classes if I don't get in.
But West Coast is my top school because everyone there from the faculty, staff, and definitely the students are so excited about the program and the future of OT. There is such positive energy; like there's something in the water at that school. It seems like something special. I've felt like I was a good fit, but I hope they see that in me too. Haha

I am also looking into programs that do not require the GRE. If you don't mid sharing, which ones have you come across that do not require it?

Hey Josnnaf219
Did you notice that the application deadline for OTCAS was set for 7/6/2016 and not 9/1 like they say on the WCU website? I talked to Mary awhile back about it and she said it'd change but I wonder how that's going to effect admissions and the whole application process if OTCAS has a different deadline.

I am also looking into programs that do not require the GRE. If you don't mid sharing, which ones have you come across that do not require it?
Loma Linda, Sacred Heart, D'youville, I believe NYU, and Minnesota State doesn't require it but suggests it. There's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

I'm applying to Loma Linda, too! I wonder if it would be good to start a separate thread for this year's cycle soon.

Don't obsess to hard over your stats, while they are important, they are not everything. If you are concerned about your stats you can retake classes and make sure you have a solid pre req GPA. My advice would be to look at schools that have interviews as this will give you a chance to shine and show how passionate you are about OTA. Another area you can use to your advantage is the GRE, many schools now require it and a high score can help offset a lower GPA. Otherwise bulk up on volunteer / OT hours and write a stellar personal statement that shows your passion and why you want to be an OT! I was in your shoes this time last year and it is going to be a long few months of stress, sweat and tears... but you will get through it! I am starting a blog to try and give advice and assist those who are applying this year, it is fairly new but you can check it out: https://rn2ot.wordpress.com/. If you have any questions I would love to help! All the best and much success!