Chances??? GPA: 3.58, MCAT 29N

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member4829

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge my chances at getting into an MD school. I will be applying next cycle so I still have plenty of time to retake my MCAT.

I live in Illinois. 3.58 GPA in Biomedical Engineering.
MCAT: 10 PS - 9 VR - 10 BS N

ECs
-Over 300 hours of patient contact as an EMT. Volunteer medical services at school events
-Will have 1.5 years of research in computational biology lab
-3 Leadership positions within volunteer medical services organization (over college career so far)
-A few hours of ER volunteer time, and ambulance ride time
-Teach 2nd and 3rd graders chemistry at a local school
-Medical screening (basic vitals and cholesterol and stuff like that) in local community for the underprivileged.

I am trying to decide whether its worth my time to retake my MCAT. I realize my GPA is slightly low but am not sure how much weight my engineering will help that out.
I have a lot of patient contact as an EMT, as well as leadership. Any other extra curriculars you guys an suggest?

Schools:
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
University of Illinois
Loyola
Southern Illinois Carbondale
University of Wisconsin
University of Michigan
Penn State
Indiana University
Feinberg School of Medicine (reach)

What do you think??? Any input is appreciated :)

Also, should I consider DO???

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to maybe 5 more MD schools with lower stats (check MSAR) to increase your chances. If you want to consider DO, CCOM is a great school.

And teaching 2nd/3rd graders chem? This probably means the baking soda + vinegar kind of chem, and not dimensional analysis, titrations, and electrochem...

Should you consider DO?

Yes. You are prime DO meat.

It goes (in my book) MD > DO >>>>>>>>>>>> Not getting in anywhere, so there is no reason in the world for you not to apply to several DO schools.