Chances into Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roblesc182

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if I even stood a chance of getting admitted into a dental school. Im currently a senior and will apply this summer.
You can be honest, and thanks for the feedback!

I transferred from a community college, top in the nation, after two years.
Most of my upper level sciences classes are from my university.
Im also hispanic, if that matters, and an Illinois resident.
100+Hr shadowing
100+ hr volunteer work.

Overall GPA is a 3.61
Science GPA is ~3.5

PAT 22
AA 18
TS 18

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
62.78%

If you can get your DAT 20+, I think you’ll be at 85.93% or higher.

ALso, I know schools like SIU like to see rural dentistry shadowing because that’s where they want you to practice. Do plenty of that to gain an extra 5-10%.

Reactions: 1 users
Several schools have a minimum of 17 on the DAT to be considered, so an 18 AA gives you a chance but not a very good one since 98% of the applicants are higher. I would study hard and retake the DAT. Every point counts. Also start thinking about your PS. Let them know what you have experienced in life that makes you different than the thousands of others that are applying. I would also apply to several schools to have the best shot, both public and private.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing again, retake the DAT aiming for 20+ AA/TS.

Also, I would suggest getting some additional shadow and volunteer hours. 100 isn't bad and is acceptable for some schools but >200 looks much better.

For 2016, the average applicant had a ~19 AA while the average enrollee had a ~20 AA. With ~2 applicants per seat, there might be enough 19+ applicants to fill every seat (if admission was based only on DAT scores). Your GPA is solid. I would retake the DAT if it were me, but it's possible to get in with 18s. It depends on your sub scores too.

s4OyGd0.png

MWU - IL
wXb6KDk.png

SIU

6GyertQ.png

UIC
jFTFUba.png

Reactions: 2 users
Was it COD you transferred from? I did every single one of my dental school prerequisites at College of DuPage, it's indeed a great school. Regardless, you've got a solid chance, & every subsequent DAT point will boost the chances.

I'll echo the other response that says to start thinking about your application personal statement. Granted I'm a non-traditional student as a 36 y/o D1, but I sincerely believe that my PS was a huge factor in my acceptance, and I also had avg DAT (19/19).

Keep pushing & good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I will be retaking the DAT. Truthfully, I freaked out during the exam. I let the nerves get the best of me and by the time I got to QR I was mentally drained from all the studying. One of my family members also suffered an illness that summer, not to mention I took physics 1. Hopefully admissions understand .
16 qr
17 bio (I also hadn’t taken biochem, genetics, microbiology or many bio classes at this point)
18 reading
19 gen chem
21 orgo
22 pat.

Last edited:
Was it COD you transferred from? I did every single one of my dental school prerequisites at College of DuPage, it's indeed a great school. Regardless, you've got a solid chance, & every subsequent DAT point will boost the chances.

I'll echo the other response that says to start thinking about your application personal statement. Granted I'm a non-traditional student as a 36 y/o D1, but I sincerely believe that my PS was a huge factor in my acceptance, and I also had avg DAT (19/19).

Keep pushing & good luck!

Cod