MD & DO Chances? not sure what to do, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckluck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping by, I don't know where I am or what to do next! I am posting in the hopes that I could know how competitive my application currently is, and how I can improve it! I do not know what to do in my gap year to boost my chances, mostly I've just been trying to find a job :S. I am an Ohio resident and thus I plan to apply to all medical schools in Ohio, yet other than and West Virginia school of medicine I have no other list. I don't have any preference of DO or MD, just wherever I get in. Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.65
sGPA:3.53
MCAT: 29 (9 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS) on my second try, formerly got 26 (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS)
year: Senior
ethnicity: caucasian

ECS:
Lab assistant and tutor in general chemistry for two years
Volunteered an with anti-poverty organization 200 hours
Hospital volunteering 200+ hours
Treasurer of biology club for one year, regular member one year.
Spent a week on a mission trip in Appalachia.
Volunteered with Alzheimer's patients for 100 hours
Three other clubs a regular active member, also did fundraising in one of them.
Volunteered at a food pantry for 50 hours.
political canvassing for 20 hours

Research:
I've only done one semester of research for a non-health related topic. I transferred from a smaller university with almost no research opportunities to a larger one, but now I'm a senior which is too late to join any labs, and as a result haven't had any successes. I'd be open to doing research post-graduation, but I'm not sure where to start.

Shadowing:
Shadowed a cardiologist for 40 hours.
Shadowed a second cardiologist who performed pacemaker installations 10 hours.
Shadowed a gastroenterologist for 50 hours.
Shadowed a family care physician for 70 hours.

Letters of recommendation:
I have five letters of recommendation. Three of them are from science professors which I know will be strong. One is from a non-science professor and the last is from a DO physician which I know will be strong.

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply DO mainly, but also some MD schools that take the highest score (or superscore). There are quite a few that I have found from inquiring with the admissions' offices at over 30 schools. The most popular answer I received was "most recent" or "last two but emphasis on most recent," but there were quite a few that replied with "highest score." All hope is not lost for the MD side of things. Note: there is a misconception that most schools average retake MCATs, but through my research, I have found this to be not true.

Your EC's are pretty normal for a candidate, so there's not much that will separate you from others. I would apply broadly to as many schools as you can and hope for the best.

Your application is good! GPA isn't anything special and MCAT is a little low but you have very good ECs and I think you have a shot at some MD schools! You are competitive at any DO, so just pick whatever DO schools sound most appealing to you. The only DO school I will suggest for you is Midwestern! But I would apply ~15 schools if you can afford, maybe half MD and half DO. Obviously apply June 1st...that will help you as well.

MD suggestions:
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Drexel
Quinnipac (maybe)
Geo. Wash
Oakland
Albany
Commonwealth
East virginia
West virginia
VCOMM
Temple
All in state schools

Just some suggestions, look into those schools and many others around your metrics

I think you are competitive and have a good shot at Northeast Ohio and Toledo!

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if "any" DO school is worth applying to. Some have MCAT averages above 30 now, so you can't just apply to any and assume you'll be fine.

I don't know if "any" DO school is worth applying to. Some have MCAT averages above 30 now, so you can't just apply to any and assume you'll be fine.
I think 30 is the highest! besides osteopathic schools that heavily favor instate applicants the OP should be competitive at any DO school!!! Not that the OP will get into all or even half or a third of the DO schools but they are all worth a shot!!! But yes, of course do research on the DO schools you like the best and have the best shot at!

Your application is good! GPA isn't anything special and MCAT is a little low but you have very good ECs and I think you have a shot at some MD schools! You are competitive at any DO, so just pick whatever DO schools sound most appealing to you. The only DO school I will suggest for you is Midwestern! But I would apply ~15 schools if you can afford, maybe half MD and half DO. Obviously apply June 1st...that will help you as well.

MD suggestions:
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Drexel
Quinnipac (maybe)
Geo. Wash
Oakland
Albany
Commonwealth
East virginia
West virginia
VCOMM
Temple
All in state schools

Just some suggestions, look into those schools and many others around your metrics

I think you are competitive and have a good shot at Northeast Ohio and Toledo!

Good luck

Thanks a ton for the list and help. Are the ECS really that good though? I heard that its recommended to do one year of research and I've only done half that!

I would apply DO mainly, but also some MD schools that take the highest score (or superscore). There are quite a few that I have found from inquiring with the admissions' offices at over 30 schools. The most popular answer I received was "most recent" or "last two but emphasis on most recent," but there were quite a few that replied with "highest score." All hope is not lost for the MD side of things. Note: there is a misconception that most schools average retake MCATs, but through my research, I have found this to be not true.

Your EC's are pretty normal for a candidate, so there's not much that will separate you from others. I would apply broadly to as many schools as you can and hope for the best.
Thanks for the advice. I know OHCOM does super scoring, but unfortunately with how I did on my second MCAT it does not help me. I know that retaking a third time is an option, but I'm not sure if I would actually do better since my average practice tests were around 29 with a high of 32 but one 26!

Thanks a ton for the list and help. Are the ECS really that good though? I heard that its recommended to do one year of research and I've only done half that!
Yes I think your ECs are great and that you will have a lot of amazing things to say in your essays and talk about during your interviews. Half a year of research isn't bad! You have an idea of what it is like! I got accepted into a couple pretty good MD schools this cycle and these are my ECs

1 semester research
4 semesters teaching assistant
50 hours shadowing
Volunteered at a camp for disabled individuals for 50 hours during the summer after my freshman year

That is all I had! But obviously you want more than that. I think your ECs are well above average and will help you stand out since the GPA/MCAT is pretty average.