Chances of acceptance with a different background than most

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipseama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, to start off, I have had an interesting life. I have been interested in medicine since I was very young; I honestly do not remember when it began (I promise I will think this through more thoroughly before submitting my personal statement). I have always loved science and have tried to take as many science courses as possible. At the end of my freshman year of college, I enrolled in the military. The semester before I left for basic training was a bit shaky (I had an F in my Spanish class because I had to miss my final, but otherwise all A's and B's). Honestly, if I could take away the GPA from my first few classes in college, I would have around a 3.8 for my undergrad. I had 30 credit hours of all A's over the course of one year, and most of my upper grad work (psychology) were all A's and B's.
Since I was active duty in the military while going to school fulltime as well, I was unable to take the science courses that I needed to pursue a medical degree once I got out of the military. I instead completed my degree, then taught high school biology at an alternative school in a very rough neighborhood for a year through Teach for America.
Fast forward to now, I will be 25 when I begin applying to medical school with a 2 year old. After leaving teaching, I have gone back to take classes at a community college. I still have athletic eligibility left since I was in the military, and I have received a substantial scholarship to cover all of the costs of my education. I have been on my own since I was 16, so any monetary help I can get is pretty much so the equivalent of winning the lottery.
With all of this said, I am very nervous about my chances of getting into medical school. I have a great deal of extracurricular work, but most of it is only loosely related to medicine. For example, I am the head charity coordinator of a state chapter of The Chive. I don't get paid a penny for what I do, but I absolutely love getting to help so many amazing people. I have started a clothing and toy closet in my home for people in our state who have a substantial need. I have helped to raise thousands of dollars for cancer research, wounded warriors, as well as a number of other partners.
Ok, I am getting way to lengthy here, and I could honestly talk for days about everything that I have done that has driven me to want to apply to medical school (both MD and DO), so I am going to list my questions below:

1) Having a ~3.6 undergrad GPA and a (currently) ~3.7 science GPA (BIOL 101, CHEM 101, A and P 1), will it be a negative point on my application if the rest of my coursework is completed at a community college?

2) I do not have any research experience, mostly due to the fact that I am a non-traditional student and spend the majority of my time running a non-profit, how much will my lack of direct patient care impact me?

3) What is the best way to go about finding research/volunteer opportunities? Is it impolite to ask my physician/my son's physician to shadow them?

Any other guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am working my butt off to get all A's because my decision impacts not only myself, but also my son's well-being.

Members don't see this ad.

1. It could be a problem unfortunately. However, your current GPA is fine.
2. Research experience is not that important but patient interaction is. Otherwise it is difficult to assert that you know what you are getting into.
3. It seems that it is perfectly acceptable to ask your own physician to shadow them. But don't quote me on that. :p . For volunteer gigs, try hospices, EMT, VA hospitals, nursing homes.

Reactions: 1 user
Many thanks for your service to our country.

You need to get some clinical experience in pronto, because despite all the other wonderful ECs, you need to show us that you know what you're getting into, and that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years. Plus, see what a doctor's day is like.

Well, to start off, I have had an interesting life. I have been interested in medicine since I was very young; I honestly do not remember when it began (I promise I will think this through more thoroughly before submitting my personal statement). I have always loved science and have tried to take as many science courses as possible. At the end of my freshman year of college, I enrolled in the military. The semester before I left for basic training was a bit shaky (I had an F in my Spanish class because I had to miss my final, but otherwise all A's and B's). Honestly, if I could take away the GPA from my first few classes in college, I would have around a 3.8 for my undergrad. I had 30 credit hours of all A's over the course of one year, and most of my upper grad work (psychology) were all A's and B's.
Since I was active duty in the military while going to school fulltime as well, I was unable to take the science courses that I needed to pursue a medical degree once I got out of the military. I instead completed my degree, then taught high school biology at an alternative school in a very rough neighborhood for a year through Teach for America.
Fast forward to now, I will be 25 when I begin applying to medical school with a 2 year old. After leaving teaching, I have gone back to take classes at a community college. I still have athletic eligibility left since I was in the military, and I have received a substantial scholarship to cover all of the costs of my education. I have been on my own since I was 16, so any monetary help I can get is pretty much so the equivalent of winning the lottery.
With all of this said, I am very nervous about my chances of getting into medical school. I have a great deal of extracurricular work, but most of it is only loosely related to medicine. For example, I am the head charity coordinator of a state chapter of The Chive. I don't get paid a penny for what I do, but I absolutely love getting to help so many amazing people. I have started a clothing and toy closet in my home for people in our state who have a substantial need. I have helped to raise thousands of dollars for cancer research, wounded warriors, as well as a number of other partners.
Ok, I am getting way to lengthy here, and I could honestly talk for days about everything that I have done that has driven me to want to apply to medical school (both MD and DO), so I am going to list my questions below:

1) Having a ~3.6 undergrad GPA and a (currently) ~3.7 science GPA (BIOL 101, CHEM 101, A and P 1), will it be a negative point on my application if the rest of my coursework is completed at a community college?

2) I do not have any research experience, mostly due to the fact that I am a non-traditional student and spend the majority of my time running a non-profit, how much will my lack of direct patient care impact me?

3) What is the best way to go about finding research/volunteer opportunities? Is it impolite to ask my physician/my son's physician to shadow them?

Any other guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am working my butt off to get all A's because my decision impacts not only myself, but also my son's well-being.