Chances of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nostalgiaultra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
College Freshman
Cumulative GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.0
Taking PCAT next cycle aiming for high 70-80 percentile. May retake if not good enough.
Had to retake a few classes because my first semester in college was a disaster. (I know PharmCAS will average them)
Applying to Drake and Iowa.
Currently have a 2 year degree one year out of high school. Took difficult college level courses all throughout HS to explain the low GPA.
Plan to transfer to Drake in the spring from my CC as a neuroscience major to finish pre reqs such as General Chem 2 and both Organic Chems then apply there for the 2016 cycle. If not accepted, may get bachelors degree and reapply then apply at IA because I know they like applicants with 4 year degrees under their belt.
I work as a pharmacy technician at Walgreens and may become senior technician in the next few months.
What are the chances of me even getting an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

College Freshman
Cumulative GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.0
Taking PCAT next cycle aiming for high 70-80 percentile. May retake if not good enough.
Had to retake a few classes because my first semester in college was a disaster. (I know PharmCAS will average them)
Applying to Drake and Iowa.
Currently have a 2 year degree one year out of high school. Took difficult college level courses all throughout HS to explain the low GPA.
Plan to transfer to Drake in the spring from my CC as a neuroscience major to finish pre reqs such as General Chem 2 and both Organic Chems then apply there for the 2016 cycle. If not accepted, may get bachelors degree and reapply then apply at IA because I know they like applicants with 4 year degrees under their belt.
I work as a pharmacy technician at Walgreens and may become senior technician in the next few months.
What are the chances of me even getting an interview?

to sum up,

-you got a 2 yr degree from a CC with cGPA ~ 3.10 and sGPA ~ 3.0 + some retakes

-no PCAT yet

-no Gen Chem 2 or OChem yet, but plan to transfer to Drake and take them there

-want to apply for 2016 cycle or getting a Bachelor and reapply if do not get in

-working at Walgreen for a while as a tech/senior tech

It is hard to say at this point. If you transferred to Drake, did great and got good GPA there like 3.5 and scored 80-90's percentile on the PCAT, your chance would be very good for an interview or even acceptance. Your good GPA at Drake would compensate a lot for the previous low GPA at CC.

If you transferred there and did not do well in those prereq/science classes, this would create a big drag as it would be more difficult to get LORs and it would take the PCAT a lot to compensate for the low performance at Drake which now would show a consistent downtrend for your academic records from CC to Drake.

But, Drake is a private school, and their tuition is expensive. Unless you were in their accelerated 6 year pharmacy program (which is admitting qualified high school graduates and would guarantee interviews/admission to the professional phase if the students met the GPA requirement, I think ~ 3.0 as I remember having read about this), I do not think you would get any favor for just attending Drake. Why not transferring to a state university and do your prereq or completing your bachelor degree there ??

Last edited:
Well right now I live near Drake and do not have the funds to pay for housing and all that fun as of yet if I were to move to Iowa City, and plus I am helping my parents keep a roof over their heads at the moment so Drake is the only option I have by taking out ridiculous loans unfortunately :(

Well right now I live near Drake and do not have the funds to pay for housing and all that fun as of yet if I were to move to Iowa City, and plus I am helping my parents keep a roof over their heads at the moment so Drake is the only option I have by taking out ridiculous loans unfortunately :(

if Drake is your only options now, then just take things slow at first to plan carefully and try your best to get good grades there as coursework will definitely be more difficult at Drake. Try 1 or 2 hard class max per semester and get all A's to get some good momentum and roll from there. GL bro :)