Chances of actually getting into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiadreaming93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dont dont dont give up....give it a shot

So after some reflection, I've decided that I want to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a medical doctor. My undergraduate degree was from a top 15 university in management consulting. I struggled during the first couple years of college, and managed to graduate with a 2.9 GPA.

Following graduation, I got a Master's in Kinesiology and graduated with a 3.78 GPA. I did well in many of the science based courses. I am now doing a post-bacc in pre-med and I'm set to complete it in a year.

Assuming I finish my post-bacc with a 3.6-3.9 GPA, what are the odds medical schools will consider me? How will my GPAs be calculated? If it's too low, should I consider PA school?

Some selling points: I am a African-American female, had to watch father and other family members struggle with cancer battle, and have many volunteer hours.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

You will have three separate GPA's. One for your graduate level work (which will be 3.78); one for undergrad which will be an average of your 2.9 + whatever you get in your postbac. And your science GPA should just include the post bac courses + any science courses that you took during undergrad.

Honestly, if you do well on the MCAT and continue to do well in your post-bac, I think you have a good chance. Medical schools generally reward reinvention and academic turnarounds. Sure, you will never have a competitive GPA, but many medical schools will be willing to look past that so long as you are able to convince them with your recent work that you are capable of excelling in school, and I think you are doing just that. Keep it up!