MD Chances of admission to IUSM? Start M.A. Physiology program in summer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desmo916

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been trolling these forums for a long time and decided to make an account and try to actively participate on these boards as it appears to be an incredibly useful tool for everyone.

I understand that my GPA is not competitive by any means (and my record in general is not good), and I have yet to take the MCAT (I will be taking it in Summer, E.K. 9th edition texts arrive tomorrow, SO EXCITE). I have received a conditional acceptance (upon completion of O-Chem 2 this semester) to a 1 year M.A. Physiology program to a good school. Planning on starting that program in the summer (will complete 1-2 classes, eager to start and truly push myself). I will be applying to medical schools when apps. open up at the end of summer + beginning of fall. My top choice is IU School of Medicine but I am considering Marian University of Osteopathic Medicine as well (D.O.).

QUESTION 1: When applying to Med. school, and I state I am in a M.A. program (essentially a SMP, as it is a 1 year non-thesis), will schools take that into consideration and grant an interview if e.c.s, letters of rec, and all looks good even though applicant has a bad undergrad? What do I need to do to get an interview in the this next winter? Is it even possible?

QUESTION 2: Will it make a difference if I have any of my M.A. of Physiology courses completed when applying? As in, let's say I take 1 or 2 classes this summer and get A's in both of them. Would that be beneficial as opposed to applying to medical school before actually starting the program?

Degree:
Graduating in May 2015 with a B.S. in Biology

E.C.s:
150 hours shadowing Cardio-thoracic Surgeon
50 hours shadowing Primary care physician
25 hours shadowing Orthopaedic surgeon

0 hours in research experience (I am hoping to pick some up this summer possibly, do you think I should try and get into doing some research this semester before I make the move to BSU????)

Employment:
I have worked fast food, retail, grocery, warehouse, and have worked for admissions as a student rep. From high school through college.

MCAT: I have NOT taken the test once.

Question 3: What score, minimum, would you say that I need for any school to take a look at me seriously?

GPA: cGPA 3.19

It's fairly obvious that there was self-sabotage to some degree during Spring 2014. To put it simply, I wasn't ready to graduate. I know this is a mess, but what can I do to recover? Is it possible?

HYPOTHETICAL FOR SPRING 2015:

A's across the board. I have gotten 95%+ on all tests and quizzes so far.

I really appreciate any advice anyone has for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did a calculation and with grade replacement I could graduate with a 3.39 cGPA.

But first, I obviously need to prove myself and make this happen before considering the "what ifs."

After reading a lot of threads today, I'd really like @Goro and @gyngyn 's opinion on what I need to do and if there are other routes I should consider. While IUSM is my top choice, I am very open minded. If either of you have time to weigh in on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
MUCOM would be your first choice, if you can do well on MCAT.

If you ace a post-bac, and also the MCAT, then also try IUSM.

Thank you for your input! Do you have any thing to weigh in on in regards to the questions that are bolded, specifically question one and two?