Chances of getting interviews for neurology residency with a failed attempt step2cs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon18

Reaction score
Non-US IMG
STEP1 - 268
STEP2CK - 264
STEP2CS - Pass 2nd attempt
Others: 2 years since graduation; 2 US LORs; 1 year work experience research in US.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply for primary care as well. Unfortunately, CS is a big red flag. My advice is to apply for both neurology (if you truly like it not because you want to match only) and primary care and after you finish your primary care residency apply for advanced neurology residency. Your clinical experience should be increased as well as your research. Good luck.

Youll match for sure with those scores. The attempt probably lowers your number of interviews, but damn those scores and you did research. I know someone who matched in Texas with a cs attempt and 220s... so that should tell u for sure that u got way better chances.

EDIT: i would also encourage you to find the match facebook group for IMGs as you'll be able to get advice from imgs who matched in neuro and they will share stories of candidates in their programs etc who had attempts and still matched and give u a proper idea of your chances in IMG friendly places.

Last edited:
I would not be as optimistic if you have a 2-year graduation gap and are non-US IMG who may need visa. While those are certainly fantastic scores, I know firsthand some IMGs with difficulty securing interviews even at community programs with stellar board scores and no board failure. The cards are stacked against you, and it would be wise to apply broadly and include back-up programs as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.