Chances of getting into a Texas school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshuabtran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in state and just submitted my app through TMDSAS and am about to finish my OOS app
20AA/20TS/27 PAT
3.54 sGPA
3.56 oGPA
130 shadowing hours
200+ community service hours

Thanks for any responses

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your stats look pretty good! as long as you meet the LOR requirements and have a strong personal statement I don't see why you wouldn't get interviews. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are an OOS? If so, unlikely. If you arent, you'll have a good shot.

You might get an interview from Baylor and San Antonio.

Since you're OOS and don't really stand out academically, I'd say your chances are low unless you have some absolutely incredible extracurriculars or something else going for your application.

Houston basically doesn't take anyone OOS. Baylor and San Antonio only interview 20-30 candidates each out of hundreds of OOS applicants, and accept even fewer.

Last edited:
like others said above, if your oos, It'll be difficult for you to gain acceptance.

I am in state actually, I meant I was applying to oos schools also. But thanks for all the replies, that makes me feel a bit better, its only been a few weeks, and the wait is already killing me.

If your PS and LOR are good, it'll boil down to your race. If you're White or Asian, those are mediocre stats for the average matriculate. If you're Hispanic or African American you will have a greater chance of admission. Based on your user name I'm going to assume you're Vietnamese. So you'll have to shine during your interview.

Your PAT is pretty good; Baylor and SA praises PAT. Your AA is okay. My gf (who is vietnamese) interviewed at all 3 Texas Schools with a 3.7 and a 23 AA but didn't get in, my black friend had a 3.4 and 20 AA and got into Baylor. They both had roughly the same amount of extracurriculars.

If your PS and LOR are good, it'll boil down to your race. If you're White or Asian, those are mediocre stats for the average matriculate. If you're Hispanic or African American you will have a greater chance of admission. Based on your user name I'm going to assume you're Vietnamese. So you'll have to shine during your interview.

Your PAT is pretty good; Baylor and SA praises PAT. Your AA is okay. My gf (who is vietnamese) interviewed at all 3 Texas Schools with a 3.7 and a 23 AA but didn't get in, my black friend had a 3.4 and 20 AA and got into Baylor. They both had roughly the same amount of extracurriculars.
did you consider their communication skills? how is it possible that the one with higher gpa/DAT didn't get in compared to someone with lower scores?

Reactions: 1 users
did you consider their communication skills? how is it possible that the one with higher gpa/DAT didn't get in compared to someone with lower scores?
Yea this seems strange. My asian friend got into every single texas school as well as upenn, and he had similar stats.

Reactions: 1 user
It's pretty clear why the one got in over the other...Lol

Reactions: 3 users

I completely agree with this. I had several friends with competitive stats not get in with interviews. I guess it's all really random.

Members don't see this ad :)

Affirmative action for undergraduate school admission is illegal but completely legal for graduate school programs. Look up "JoJo Chokalingam" he faked being African American to get into medical school after failing to get in as an Indian.

Affirmative action for undergraduate school admission is illegal but completely legal for graduate school programs. Look up "JoJo Chokalingam" he faked being African American to get into medical school after failing to get in as an Indian.
wow that's terrible! Basically vice versa discrimination...

It's definitely prevalent in both undergraduate and graduate school programs but not to the degree of 3.7 and 23 AA is an applicant not accepted anywhere. They have statistics on accepted students and their scores (though not sure for dental).
Edit: didn't see you typed baylor only mb

Last edited:
Many schools value a diverse student body, Baylor especially. Unfortunately for your girlfriend, this means she is not competing against all competitive applicants, but against all competitive Asian female applicants. Her stats still look great, so I also am inclined to wonder about the strength of her interview skills.

I completely agree with this. I had several friends with competitive stats not get in with interviews. I guess it's all really random.

Do you think it's really random?
In addition to grades and all the extra stuff, I think it can come down to "who you know" not "what you know". Do y'all think so?

dental schools on overall have 50% acceptance ratio, thus I think that is why it is important to apply broadly to >10 school because you don't know who you are competing with. With the bigger number, your chance of landing 1 school (instead of having empty hands at the end of the cycle) increases dramatically.

well, if i applied to 15 schools with stats above and didnt get in, i will hang myself.

dental schools on overall have 50% acceptance ratio, thus I think that is why it is important to apply broadly to >10 school because you don't know who you are competing with. With the bigger number, your chance of landing 1 school (instead of having empty hands at the end of the cycle) increases dramatically.

well, if i applied to 15 schools with stats above and didnt get in, i will hang myself.

How much would applying to 15 schools even cost?

It ain't worth it man

Reactions: 1 users
What you allude to may be true, but I find it hard to believe. More than likely she doesn't interview well.

Average sGPA and AA of applicants accepted to Texas Schools:
Baylor: 3.48, 20.7
Houston:3.64, 19.4
San Antonio: 3.52, 20.0

Percentage of those interviewed accepted:
Baylor 62%
UT-SA 68%
UT Hou 66%

Last edited:
What you allude to may be true, but I find it hard to believe. More than likely she doesn't interview well.

Average sGPA and AA of applicants accepted to Texas Schools:
Baylor: 3.48, 20.7
Houston:3.64, 19.4
San Antonio: 3.52, 20.0

Percentage of those interviewed accepted:
Baylor 62%
UT-SA 68%
UT Hou 36%
Those statistics are completely irrelevant for an out of state applicant. And you shouldn't find it hard to believe...because it is perfectly reasonable and most likely true.

Those statistics are completely irrelevant for an out of state applicant. And you shouldn't find it hard to believe...because it is perfectly reasonable and most likely true.
...The OP is in state and the guy's gf was also in state, unless they are in a long distance interstate relationship and he failed to mention it.

Not to steal the thread, but I wonder what the stats should be for out-of-state ppl.. :rolleyes:

Not to steal the thread, but I wonder what the stats should be for out-of-state ppl.. :rolleyes:

They literally take the best because of the limited seats: probably 3.9+ 25AA+...
I know some people in Oregon that couldn't get in with 3.8 and 24AA

They literally take the best because of the limited seats: probably 3.9+ 25AA+...
I know some people in Oregon that couldn't get in with 3.8 and 24AA
I know a student from out of state that got in to Baylor with a 20 and idk the exact GPA but it wasn't above a 3.7

Haha, yikes, sorry guys. NaN as in Not a Number.

1. In computing, NaN, standing for not a number, is a numeric data type value representing an undefined or unrepresentable value, especially in floating-point calculations.

10 students out of 100 are out of state at Baylor.
5 at San Antonio
0-1 at Houston

*they all have close to 100 students

Haha, yikes, sorry guys. NaN as in Not a Number.

1. In computing, NaN, standing for not a number, is a numeric data type value representing an undefined or unrepresentable value, especially in floating-point calculations.

I'm just gonna admit you're smarter than me.