General Admissions & OTCAS Chances of getting into Chicago schools for OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greekgal234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

So I am currently a recreational therapist, desiring more from my career. It isn't challenging enough, so I was considering going back for OT. I love recreation therapy but there's unfortunately not as many job opportunities as I would like. There are more opportunities as an OT.

Schools I am thinking of applying to are university of IL at Chicago, Midwestern university, and rush university.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in recreation therapy.
My undergrad GPA is a 3.8.
My prerequisite gpa is around 3.0, but I plan to retake my prerequisites at my local community college. I don't know how they factor in retakes... but hopefiully that will help. I had C's in some classes. I think if I retake I would have around a 3.4-3.5.

I plan to apply fall 2018..

Haven't taken my GREs yet and I need OT volunteer hours. Going to try to get as many as possible. But I could get s great recommendation from a past professor and internship supervisor. Would also need one from an OT but working on it.

I did an internship in special recreation, currently work full time at a senior living facility and also part time as needed in special recreation for kids with special needs. I also have volunteered at many places and have lots of hours (over 150) for recreation therapy because it was fieldwork required for my bachelors. So I have a healthcare background.

I would be 27 when I apply so I am concerned about getting in as I am getting older and want to be done with school.

Do I have a solid chance? What can I do to improve my chances of getting into those schools the first time around??

Members don't see this ad.

UIC and Rush are SUPER competitive, so you want to make sure you build up your pre-req grades before applying to those. Get as much OT experience (shadowing) as you can, do as well as you can in the GRE (Kaplan and Princeton Review are good review books), and have the world proofread your paper. Don't worry about your age, I have classmates who are between 27-30 and it isn't weird, everyone gets along decently well

Thanks for the reply! Going to definitely work to present the best application I can. If you don't mind me asking what were your stats when you got into school?? And where do you go to school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! Going to definitely work to present the best application I can. If you don't mind me asking what were your stats when you got into school?? And where do you go to school?

You should look into Carroll University. Im from Chicago and Carroll is only 1.5 hours driving and they have a 24 month program!

Feel free to ask more questions!

3.2 Overall, 3.5 Pre-Req