Chances of getting into Harvard?

xvii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently considered applying to Harvard out of pure curiosity. At first I thought that there's no way that I could get in, but I did some research and have seen that people have gotten into Harvard with "low" GPA's and "low" test scores. I have a 3.5 unweighted GPA and scored a 24 on my ACT (time killed me), however, I have extracurriculars and a minority factor in my favor which I have seen can also play a large roll in acceptance (and of course the ability to write an amazing essay). I've been involved in school music since 6th grade and all throughout high school (in high school I have als held a leadership role for 2 years), have done theater, have been involved in two sports and recieved my first Varsity letter my Freshman year, second one my sophomore year and am getting a bar for the second letter this year, I have received a congressional recognition recently, and lastly I am a female who is White, Hispanic, Filipino, & Native American (I make up .00% of the population according to the Census). So even though academically I may not be the typical Harvard candidate, in your opinion do you think there's some possibility I could still be accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely. Apply if you want

/thread

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances are 0% if you don't apply and 0.1% if you do. If the application fee isn't an issue then you should consider applying.

Usually 10% of those accepted have an ACT score of 24-29 and 10% have a GPA between 3.50 and 3.74. There are no statistics available for those who have both an ACT score and GPA in that range, but the percentage is likely to be less than 2%.

So even though academically I may not be the typical Harvard candidate, in your opinion do you think there's some possibility I could still be accepted?
Realistically, no. If you're OK with throwing away $75 (or whatever the application fee has inflated to nowadays) then by all means go for it b/c YOLO, amirite.

There are no statistics available for those who have both an ACT score and GPA in that range, but the percentage is likely to be less than 2%.
Your last name has to be Kennedy or something though :D

I'm sorry to tell you this but your chances are VERY unlikely. Unfortunately GPA and test scores make the bulk of what determines which school you get into.

I've recently considered applying to Harvard out of pure curiosity. At first I thought that there's no way that I could get in, but I did some research and have seen that people have gotten into Harvard with "low" GPA's and "low" test scores. I have a 3.5 unweighted GPA and scored a 24 on my ACT (time killed me), however, I have extracurriculars and a minority factor in my favor which I have seen can also play a large roll in acceptance (and of course the ability to write an amazing essay). I've been involved in school music since 6th grade and all throughout high school (in high school I have als held a leadership role for 2 years), have done theater, have been involved in two sports and recieved my first Varsity letter my Freshman year, second one my sophomore year and am getting a bar for the second letter this year, I have received a congressional recognition recently, and lastly I am a female who is White, Hispanic, Filipino, & Native American (I make up .00% of the population according to the Census). So even though academically I may not be the typical Harvard candidate, in your opinion do you think there's some possibility I could still be accepted?

Maybe not Harvard but there are plenty of schools you should apply to for sure.

If you had a higher GPA and ACT you might have had a chance.

Playing up your underrepresented status is not going to do much to help your 24 ACT. That is really very low for a place like Harvard. So low it's gonna be hard to explain that away

Reactions: 1 user
You never know. There's a website that will "calculate" your chances, ("Prep scholar") based on GPA and standardized tests only though, so check it out and go from there.

You never know. There's a website that will "calculate" your chances, ("Prep scholar") based on GPA and standardized tests only though, so check it out and go from there.
According to that website, his chances of admission to Harvard University are 0.08% with a 3.5 GPA and a score of 24 on the ACT (if we assume that to be 1700 on the SAT, since that calculator only accepts SAT scores).

Reactions: 1 user
Geez I applied with an above perfect GPA and like top 10% SAT score and didn't get in... and the race card wont help because I also make up 0.0% of the US census. My EC were pretty impressive too... but yeah its hard to get in. Don't stress about it!

Not a chance in hell

Very unlikely, I'm sorry. With that GPA and ACT, you will need a pretty impressive life story.

Last edited:
My friend with around same stats applied to Stanford for the hell of it...he didn't get in. I wouldn't count on it.

Why do you want to go to Harvard? That's not a rhetorical question. As someone familiar with the institution, people who fall outside the standard distribution of quantitative criteria for entry tend to be able to eloquently state why their life goals would be uniquely impacted by the Harvard environment.

Harvard does take people who have things going for them other than the numbers. That being said there are a lot of minorities with better numbers AND ECs than you out there so if you don't have the whole package, you'd have to have that "hook" that makes them want you over them. They are looking for that "wow" factor. The guy I know who got helped by his Native American heritage had a letter from his tribal council recommending him. The athletes I know were state ranked or Olympics bound. The musicians who got in had pretty substantial concert/orchestra experience outside the school. Your congressional recognition is good but will it be enough? Now, if you applied to all the most competitive places in Barons, I think you'd have a decent shot but focusing in on one place the odds are still pretty long. You should certainly apply, because you can't win if you don't play, but I wouldn't start scoping out dorm rooms just yet.

Teaching moment: A lot of applicants suddenly discover their Native American heritage when they are filling out med school application forms. They do not get accepted. Someone with the bolded below will, as will someone with evidence of service and commitment their community.

Harvard does take people who have things going for them other than the numbers. That being said there are a lot of minorities with better numbers AND ECs than you out there so if you don't have the whole package, you'd have to have that "hook" that makes them want you over them. They are looking for that "wow" factor. The guy I know who got helped by his Native American heritage had a letter from his tribal council recommending him. The athletes I know were state ranked or Olympics bound. The musicians who got in had pretty substantial concert/orchestra experience outside the school. Your congressional recognition is good but will it be enough? Now, if you applied to all the most competitive places in Barons, I think you'd have a decent shot but focusing in on one place the odds are still pretty long. You should certainly apply, because you can't win if you don't play, but I wouldn't start scoping out dorm rooms just yet.

Considering this person hasn't been on ever since they posted this thread, I think its pointless to continue the conversation.