Chances of Getting Into Radiology after Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saadkhilji

Reaction score
Hi, I would really appreciate input from radiologist and radiology residents. I have been in Family Practice for six years and I am looking to switch into Radiology. I was looking at other options as well like going into Nuclear Medicine and then doing radiology as well. My interest lies in combined Nuclear Medicine and DR Residency. I am planning to do a couple of rotations in Radiology. I do have a Master's Degree in Human Anatomy before starting my residency and seven years of a teaching experience before I did my residency in Family Medicine.
I would like to know what would be the best possible route to land into a successful residency in Radiology.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not a PD so take this with a grain of salt.

1) Having already completed a residency, you have quite a bit more insight into clinical relevance than most R1s, so I imagine this would actually be quite a help to you. People have an easier time matching into exceptionally competitive residencies like surgical subspecialties if they’ve already completed another residency, from certain examples I’ve seen.

2) Don’t go into Nucs first. Go straight for rads, as I don’t see the Nucs residency providing you any benefit for applying to rads down the road in terms of success in matching. If you want to do Nucs for the rest of your life, go to rads, do an enfolded Nucs fellowship, and if you want more do another year of it after, and do Nucs research with medical physicists while in your DR residency.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who recently switched from internal medicine to radiology (finishing up 3rd year internal medicine residency), I would tell you it's totally possible.

There is funding issues here and there, but radiology has a long tradition of taking in candidates who are trained in other specialties and want to switch career path. Do some rotation with radiologist, show your passion and get letters and then apply. You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user