Chances of getting into UPenn with my gpa/dat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentalKorean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a seinor at Cornell studying Molecular and Cell Biology...and I have 3.597 overall gpa, 3.48 science gpa, 3.53 BCP gpa. I just calculated my science gpa and got shocked...Always thought it's around my overall gpa... I read in the predents.com that UPenn have average of 3.68gpa/ 3.63 sgpa... UPenn was one of my top choices and I feel my dream is shettered!!!! Argh... I got 25AA/27TS/21 PAT and thought I have a great chance, and now I am really panicking. Do you think Science GPA will ruin my chance? Would you say that speaking only with numbers, do I still have a shot? Please tell me objectively. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Youre DAT score is great. Get your app in early and you might be a candidate for the Dean's

I would be REALLY happy just getting in. But thanks for your encouragement!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure for Penn cuz they look highly on GPA but your chance at Columbia is EXTREMELY HIGH.

Thank you. Columbia, UPenn, and Tufts are my top choices. Wsih I get into at least one :)

Hi everyone. I am a seinor at Cornell studying Molecular and Cell Biology...and I have 3.597 overall gpa, 3.48 science gpa, 3.53 BCP gpa. I just calculated my science gpa and got shocked...Always thought it's around my overall gpa... I read in the predents.com that UPenn have average of 3.68gpa/ 3.63 sgpa... UPenn was one of my top choices and I feel my dream is shettered!!!! Argh... I got 25AA/27TS/21 PAT and thought I have a great chance, and now I am really panicking. Do you think Science GPA will ruin my chance? Would you say that speaking only with numbers, do I still have a shot? Please tell me objectively. Thanks.

Blah blah blah I have a 3.6 GPA and 3.5 sci GPA from an ivy league uni known for hard science classes and a 25AA/27TS DAT score that less than .05% of test takers in the entire country can achieve. I am so doomed! I won't be able to get into an ivy league dental school wah wah wah.

SNAP out of it man:eek:! you will be one of the most competitive applicants next cycle. With scores like that I think you would be intelligent enough to realize this...:rolleyes:

(FYI I have a 3.72/3.6 gpa/scigpa from a state school and 22 DAT and i have been accepted to Penn, so your chances are great....stop worrying =)

Reactions: 1 users
I wish you know that I did not post this thread to show off my DAT score, if that was your impression. I'm sorry if I seemed like a boaster, but it was not my intention. I think there is absolutely no point showing off in SDN about my DAT score...Just that I keep hearing Penn emphasizes alot more on GPA than DAT score from here. (As I posted, I have ~0.15 lower than the average). And thank you for your comment actually because whether I worry or not won't make any difference since my GPA is set now.

i'm sure you are more than qualified to get an interview at penn, however, stats along does not mean acceptance. gotta ace that interview, which i am sure you will be fine at too.

Don't be discouraged, i had a 3.5 gpa and 25AA and i got into Penn...

Since your GPA is below average, make sure to cover all your other bases, e.g. volunteering and research and write a solid personal statement...

I think you have a very good shot, keep in mind Penn has a relatively large class size (~120) and thus gives out more offers than many schools...

Not sure for Penn cuz they look highly on GPA but your chance at Columbia is EXTREMELY HIGH.

I would disagree. I find Columbia is much more related to stats where as Penn seems to look at other stuff a lot more so. Either way, stop sweating, I'm sure you can get in.

I wish you know that I did not post this thread to show off my DAT score, if that was your impression. I'm sorry if I seemed like a boaster, but it was not my intention. I think there is absolutely no point showing off in SDN about my DAT score...Just that I keep hearing Penn emphasizes alot more on GPA than DAT score from here. (As I posted, I have ~0.15 lower than the average). And thank you for your comment actually because whether I worry or not won't make any difference since my GPA is set now.

I didn't get the impression that you were trying to show off at all. It just irks me that people of your caliber in stats have no self-confidence in themselves that they are worrying about an admissions process that is MONTHS AWAY (I am assuming with such a good GPA at a great uni and a insane DAT score that the rest of your application must be just as good). You have stellar stats, and I am without a doubt certain that you will gain acceptance into one of the three schools you have listed, if not all three (assuming you interview well). Don't act like you won't get in somewhere; your scores are amazing so go out, make sure the rest of your app is stellar, and think positive. Don't bother worrying, "O My GPA is below their mean! I won't get in!" because quite frankly there are so many other factors these schools consider when giving out an interview, and you already killed another one of them (the DAT).

SOOOO.... good luck to you!

Blah blah blah I have a 3.6 GPA and 3.5 sci GPA from an ivy league uni known for hard science classes and a 25AA/27TS DAT score that less than .05% of test takers in the entire country can achieve. I am so doomed! I won't be able to get into an ivy league dental school wah wah wah.

SNAP out of it man:eek:! you will be one of the most competitive applicants next cycle. With scores like that I think you would be intelligent enough to realize this...:rolleyes:

(FYI I have a 3.72/3.6 gpa/scigpa from a state school and 22 DAT and i have been accepted to Penn, so your chances are great....stop worrying =)

Funny. That was sarcasm right?
Anyways...within a mean some Gpa's are above and some are below. But I am sure you know that. Your stats are really great. Be happy, the interviews will definitely come. Like other people are telling you, just make sure that you do good on your interviews.

I think I misunderstood that you thought that way. Thank you for your encouragement. I honestly never thought that my stats are stellar before because of my GPA, but as you said I should be proud of my other achievement (DAT) :)

I think I misunderstood that you thought that way. Thank you for your encouragement. I honestly never thought that my stats are stellar before because of my GPA, but as you said I should be proud of my other achievement (DAT) :)

A 3.6ogpa/3.5sgpa from a top 25 uni is still very competitive and when coupled with a 25/27DAT it is pretty amazing. stand proud! and hope for the best. :thumbup::)

And to the above guy, ya that was sarcasm.

TRUE THAT!!

i wonder if he got in though. LOL.
I am 90% positive he did get into at least one. :)