Chances Of going to DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApplePicking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just got my scores in today (V6, B11, P9)
I have a 3.6 science and cum gap.
I would like to know my chances of getting into DO schools in NY with the obviously downside being the V6.
Thank you all beforehand for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I unfortunately don't think you are in a position to be super selective. I'm thinking Touro might give you a shot, but NYCOM may be a bit tougher. It also depends on your EC's, letters, statement, etc. I would definitely apply more broadly than NY though.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I hear from @Goro, Touro is a bit selective for MCAT scores on the high end and I have a feeling most places will auto-screen due to the VR=6.

I unfortunately don't think you are in a position to be super selective. I'm thinking Touro might give you a shot, but NYCOM may be a bit tougher. It also depends on your EC's, letters, statement, etc. I would definitely apply more broadly than NY though.
I honestly wouldn't mind applying out of NY, just hoping to see if a V6 is really as bad as it seems. Also I signed up for another exam in about two days and really don't see myself scoring higher on the verbal. And I don't want to retake and score a lower grade.

May I ask how you were able to produce such a specific number?
ChiTown is actually LizzyM of Borg.

He was kidding around. You will probably be told to either retake or apply to new schools, but with the good GPAs, maybe you will get more attention at some "better" schools. Wait for a faculty member to respond.

ChiTown is actually LizzyM of Borg.

He was kidding around. You will probably be told to either retake or apply to new schools, but with the good GPAs, maybe you will get more attention at some "better" schools. Wait for a faculty member to respond.

Awesome and I figured as much. Also is it bad if I take this MCAT in two days and if I don't feel good about it to just void it? Thank you!

I think the 26 overall is more damning than the 6 VR for Touro NY, but maybe you'd have a chance at Middletown. Don't know about NYCOM.

Awesome and I figured as much. Also is it bad if I take this MCAT in two days and if I don't feel good about it to just void it? Thank you!
You're actually taking the MCAT again in two days? How much have you prepared?

You're actually taking the MCAT again in two days? How much have you prepared?
I honestly just been studying the same way as before. I wouldn't be surprised if I score around the 26-27 range while going up on the verbal by 1 or 2 the most.

I think the 26 overall is more damning than the 6 VR for Touro NY, but maybe you'd have a chance at Middletown. Don't know about NYCOM.
I thought so too, but multiple students from my graduating class were able to get into NYCOM and Touro with MCAT scores ranging from 25-29 this past year.

I honestly just been studying the same way as before. I wouldn't be surprised if I score around the 26-27 range while going up on the verbal by 1 or 2 the most.
The real concern is, how prepared do you feel? Are you confident you will score well or are you winging it? Also, what did your preparation consist of?

To answer your previous question...if you void an exam -- as far as I know -- it is as if you never took it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought so too, but multiple students from my graduating class were able to get into NYCOM and Touro with MCAT scores ranging from 25-29 this past year.

I don't doubt it, but Touro definitely seems to lust after high MCAT scorers. That's not to say it is impossible to get in with a 26 or a 6 in VR - your chances really depend on your application package as a whole. NYCOM might be more doable if you are a NY resident. Perhaps you could call the schools and see if they would look at your application with the 6 (or if you'd be screened out).

edit: I feel that generally speaking, your chances of admission to *A* DO school are good with that score and GPA combo. It might not be in NY, but I feel you're likely to get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I would rule out Touro-NY and CA, Western, CCOM and AZCOM. Dig up User3's list of the DO schools and their stats. Apply broadly and especially target the newest schools, except LUCOM.

Hello everyone!

I just got my scores in today (V6, B11, P9)
I have a 3.6 science and cum gap.
I would like to know my chances of getting into DO schools in NY with the obviously downside being the V6.
Thank you all beforehand for the insight.

Reactions: 1 users
May I ask how you were able to produce such a specific number?
I was just being cheeky: my apologies.

Are you applying this cycle or next? I'm assuming this cycle but you know what they say about assumptions..

Last edited:
The real concern is, how prepared do you feel? Are you confident you will score well or are you winging it? Also, what did your preparation consist of?

To answer your previous question...if you void an exam -- as far as I know -- it is as if you never took it.
I actually feel like I am indeed winging it. My studies consisted of reviewing BR books and basically doing as much problems as I had time to. I also took 5 aamc exams and scored 26-27 on all of them. Should I take the exam and if I felt good about it getting scored? Seems like the most likely option.

I don't doubt it, but Touro definitely seems to lust after high MCAT scorers. That's not to say it is impossible to get in with a 26 or a 6 in VR - your chances really depend on your application package as a whole. NYCOM might be more doable if you are a NY resident. Perhaps you could call the schools and see if they would look at your application with the 6 (or if you'd be screened out).

edit: I feel that generally speaking, your chances of admission to *A* DO school are good with that score and GPA combo. It might not be in NY, but I feel you're likely to get in somewhere.

Yes, I understand were you are coming from with the whole package. And I want to thank you for your insight. I feel it might be worth looking into outside schools as well. I am not really stressing the location too much. Thanks a bunch!

I would rule out Touro-NY and CA, Western, CCOM and AZCOM. Dig up User3's list of the DO schools and their stats. Apply broadly and especially target the newest schools, except LUCOM.
If you don't mind, would you think a higher score with in the verbal, say a 7 or 8 increase my chances at those schools? And I will definitely look at his list. Thank you.

I actually feel like I am indeed winging it. My studies consisted of reviewing BR books and basically doing as much problems as I had time to. I also took 5 aamc exams and scored 26-27 on all of them. Should I take the exam and if I felt good about it getting scored? Seems like the most likely option.
Ehhhh,....I'm uncomfortable giving you a real answer here. I'll call @Goro back to see what he thinks, but he also kind of gave you the go ahead to apply to newer schools.

I was just being cheeky: my apologies.

Are you applying this cycle or next? I'm assuming this cycle but you know what they say about assumptions..
Always fine to add humor! I thank you for it. Also I really want to start apply after I have had about at least 6 -8 months of more clinical experience. So in about 6 roughly I would like to be accepted already and ready to take classes. Don't really know when the cycles start.

Ehhhh,....I'm uncomfortable giving you a real answer here. I'll call @Goro back to see what he thinks, but he also kind of gave you the go ahead to apply to newer schools.
I really don't blame you. And I will indeed be looking at those schools and visiting them to see how they stand out to me. Thank you so much!

Always fine to add humor! I thank you for it. Also I really want to start apply after I have had about at least 6 -8 months of more clinical experience. So in about 6 roughly I would like to be accepted already and ready to take classes. Don't really know when the cycles start.

The cycle begins in June, for those who plan to matriculate the following summer/fall (i.e. you can submit your application as early as June 2015 to start school in August 2016). You can submit your primary application on June 1st (or 3rd, or something, varies year to year) and you should very much plan on submitting it on the first possible day. This might sound like nonsense hyperbole - but there is no joke about it - submitting your primary early will greatly impact your chances. A late(r) app with borderline stats might get you rejected at schools that you would have had a chance at if your app had been in months earlier.

The cycle begins in June, for those who plan to matriculate the following summer/fall (i.e. you can submit your application as early as June 2015 to start school in August 2016). You can submit your primary application on June 1st (or 3rd, or something, varies year to year) and you should very much plan on submitting it on the first possible day. This might sound like nonsense hyperbole - but there is no joke about it - submitting your primary early will greatly impact your chances. A late(r) app with borderline stats might get you rejected at schools that you would have had a chance at if your app had been in months earlier.
Wow! Thank you very much for the heads up. I will most certianly bring this up with my pre-med advisor tomorrow at our meeting. And I guess that is what I will be aiming for then since I actually wanted to start early but it can't be helped.

If you get your total score up to 27+, then you're in striking distance for all of them (except AZCOM...their cutoff is 29).

If you don't mind, would you think a higher score with in the verbal, say a 7 or 8 increase my chances at those schools? And I will definitely look at his list. Thank you.

If you get your total score up to 27+, then you're in striking distance for all of them (except AZCOM...their cutoff is 29).
Awesome! I am sure I can pull off a 27 with a higher verbal score! Thank you for the insight, you've been truly helpful.

I keep seeing this, but I'm not sure how true it is. Can anyone lend credence to this rumor of AZCOM 29 mcat cutoff?

I keep seeing this, but I'm not sure how true it is. Can anyone lend credence to this rumor of AZCOM 29 mcat cutoff?

Last cycle they put a lot of people under 29 on hold and then interviewed them later in the cycle.

Even if their average MCAT was 31 it wouldn't make sense for them to have a cut off at 29. You would need TONS of people with 29+ MCAT scores.

Last cycle they put a lot of people under 29 on hold and then interviewed them later in the cycle.

Even if their average MCAT was 31 it wouldn't make sense for them to have a cut off at 29. You would need TONS of people with 29+ MCAT scores.

So far this cycle, everyone with scores under 29 received a letter putting us on "hold", with some babble about determining how competitive the applicant pool would be, etc. Someone apparently called the school and was told that those with scores under 29 (last year's average) would be looked at in January and beyond for potential interviews. I am not necessarily sure how true that is, as it is anecdotal, but I certainly think it's way too soon to think that AZCOM won't accept people with MCAT scores below 29. Seems incredibly unlikely, as you said chizled. I will report back if I get an interview invite this spring with my 27 ;).

So far this cycle, everyone with scores under 29 received a letter putting us on "hold", with some babble about determining how competitive the applicant pool would be, etc. Someone apparently called the school and was told that those with scores under 29 (last year's average) would be looked at in January and beyond for potential interviews. I am not necessarily sure how true that is, as it is anecdotal, but I certainly think it's way too soon to think that AZCOM won't accept people with MCAT scores below 29. Seems incredibly unlikely, as you said chizled. I will report back if I get an interview invite this spring with my 27 ;).

They did the same thing last year. When I was interviewing at KCUMB someone told me he sent in a LOI and suddenly got an II (MCAT < 29). I liked KCUMB too much so I never sent the LOI.

They did the same thing last year. When I was interviewing at KCUMB someone told me he sent in a LOI and suddenly got an II (MCAT < 29). I liked KCUMB too much so I never sent the LOI.

Yeah, that seems plausible based on what I heard from someone who attends AZCOM currently. I'm in the same boat as you were last year though - I've already committed, so definitely not sending in any LOIs.

Yeah, that seems plausible based on what I heard from someone who attends AZCOM currently. I'm in the same boat as you were last year though - I've already committed, so definitely not sending in any LOIs.

The COL of KCUMB is around the tuition of AZCOM. At this rate I'll probably be giving $10k back at the end of the year. That makes attending KCUMB >$10k cheaper than AZCOM.

AZCOM was my state school but it would have made absolutely no sense to go there given the cost. I believe tuition will be $60k next year. Yeaahhh, OK.

The COL of KCUMB is around the tuition of AZCOM. At this rate I'll probably be giving $10k back at the end of the year. That makes attending KCUMB $10k cheaper than AZCOM.

AZCOM was my state school but it would have made absolutely no sense to go there given the cost. I believe tuition will be $60k next year. Yeaahhh, OK.

It would be hypocritical of me to judge those who choose AZCOM since I'll be attending CCOM :laugh: I don't blame you though, KCUMB and DMU are just about the best bang for your osteopathic buck in my opinion. Amazing schools for the right price.

I know of someone who got an ii there this cycle with an MCAT below 27.

It would be hypocritical of me to judge those who choose AZCOM since I'll be attending CCOM :laugh: I don't blame you though, KCUMB and DMU are just about the best bang for your osteopathic buck in my opinion. Amazing schools for the right price.

Dang, I thought you were coming to KCUMB?

Dang, I thought you were coming to KCUMB?

No :( It was a possibility (and a tough decision), but CCOM won - have some compelling reasons for wanting to stay near my family for school. All my SDN BFFs are going to KCUMB though, maybe I'll come visit in all of my copious spare time ;)

This what keep hearing. I think that the school Is being way too choosy and the bubble will burst before too long.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought you ultimately did get a late ii, but were waitlisted and rejected...

Last edited:
This what keep hearing. I think that the school Is being way too choosy and the bubble will burst before too long.
I'm sure there are still plenty of people with that score but low GPA's or no EC's.

I thought you ultimately did get a late ii, but were waitlisted and rejected...

Yeah. What I'm saying is I probably would have gotten the II earlier if I had turned in the LOI. Interviewing that late was no bueno.

Rejected is a strong word! I showed extreme apathy when interviewing because I already knew I wanted to attend KCUMB. I just went for the free lunch. $50 says I could have gotten in if I had put in the extra effort. I ALLOWED them to decline me is what really happened.