Chances of receiving NHSC scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technocrat626

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for matriculation in 2015. I want to apply for the NHSC rural physician scholarship. How competitive is it? I don't know exactly where my stats will end up, but I am shooting for a 3.6 cgpa, a 3.5 sgpa, a 28-32 mcat (somewhere in that range). I volunteer at the VA hospital (patient transport) and Habitat for Humanity. I have a job as an EKG tech at my local hospital. I am committed to spending my entire career serving under-served communities. I grew up in a rural area and have personally experienced homelessness, which motivates me to focus on serving those populations. My financial status will almost certainly qualify more for EFN grants. Also, I am classified as coming from a "disadvantaged background", as I am in the first generation of my family to attend college, I have a GED, and I have a mental illness (severe Major Depression Disorder) which has interfered with my access to education. My assumption is that, since I meet all three of the priority criteria for the scholarship (EFN, disadvantaged, likely to remain in HPSAs), I have a good chance of receiving it. However, is my less-than-stellar academic performance going to hinder my chances? Also, I intend to apply primarily to DO schools. Will that hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't a lot of Scholar slots, a lot more loan-repayment slots last I heard. It probably makes sense to do loan repayment than scholar anyways, just in case you decide not going into primary care after your experiences in3rd and 4th year of med school

You have certain advantages in the "extra" qualifications they are looking for, but it is a highly competitive program and you will need to apply and hope for the best. Good luck, its a noble and needed mission.

z7uj9.png