Chances off the waitlist/reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteelResolve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied this cycle

I have a 3.73 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 34 P (12PS, 11VR, 11 BS)

I completed an honors thesis just recently doing addiction research which will contribute to a future publication and defended my thesis earning highest honors in psychology.

In addition I have put in over 100 hours volunteering at my school's hospital.

I got interviews at 7 places and felt pretty good. My interviews went pretty smoothly overall and I felt good about my chances.

I ended up not getting any offers and being put on the WL for Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, SLU, and ECU (and possibly MUSC).

What are my chances of getting in off one of these waitlists and what do you think I should do if I don't get in and have to reapply

Members don't see this ad.

Other than the research and 100 hours of clinical experience, what were your other activities? And what did you improve on since last applying, other than the thesis?

Did you apply early in the cycle? Were your LORs solid?

If you got any rejections, did you call to make a phone appointment with the dean to ask how you could improve your application?

A response will make it easier to give you the best advice.

what do you think I should do if I don't get in and have to reapply
Looking at a backpost, it appears that you had far less than 100 hours of clinical experience when you applied, only ~5 months of research, no leadership, and the not much shadowing (looked like maybe two days total). And you originally applied with a 31 MCAT, which delayed consideration of the file while schools waitied for the new score. So your application was complete on the late side.

Having about 150 hours of clinical experience over 1.5 years is average, and you had far less, so I suggest you further improve on that. If you had less than 60-80 hours of shadowing physicians (not including dentists) you could improve on that also. Your research is fine and there's no particular need to augment that unless you aspire to a research strong institution, in which case another year would be better. Besides getting in a leadership experience, another valued activity is teaching/tutoring/TAing if you could get that in. And next time apply in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I should have clarified. This is my first time applying. I think you figured that out in my second post.

I appreciate your advice. Working as a TA may not be practical since I am already a senior in college and am graduating in a couple weeks. I do plan to put in more time in shadowing and get more experience in a medical setting. I am always a little hazy on the leadership ideas. Aside from tutoring what would be a good leadership activity for med school, keeping in mind that I will be graduating soon.

Lastly, any perspective on my chances of getting in with 4 waitlists in general or my specific chances at any of the schools in particular?

I didn't really know your timeline for reapplication, so I threw in all the advice I could think of. If you're applying in 2 months, then a short-term leadership gig is all you could try for, like taking the point position in a fund raising effort, or organizing your friends to start a new club or do a service project (clean up campus, collect food for a food pantry, make soup for a soup kitchen, etc.).

In general, the "common wisdom" says, "Waitlist times three, an acceptance you'll see. But honestly, I think you didn't have the strongest application in several ways, so I can't conclude you'd be at the top of the waitlists, therefore I recommend you start planning to reapply now. Don't let another month, or two, or three go by with no new improvements in your clinical experience and shadowing before you buckle down. And don't stop your efforts during the application season. Continue some clinical and nonmedical community service during your glide year so you have pertinent information to include in future update letters and interview conversations. And don't hesitate to add leadership or teaching activities too.