Chances this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeForte15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With ERAS submission on the horizon I've sufficiently psyched myself out and am genuinely wondering if I need to be considering a backup plan. Plastic surgery is the only thing I can see myself doing and so I've elected to not apply to general surgery at this time. With that said, I'm here to gather general consensus on whether or not I need to be looking for research spots in a lab in the next few months so I don't find myself empty handed come match day (I'm married and not having a backup plan would not bode well for the family).

Medical School: top 20
Step 1: 247
Step 2: 251
Clinical Grades: Mostly honors, some high pass (including surgery)
Class Rank: top 25%, nominated for AOA but not elected
Research: 4 publications in print, 3 papers accepted (but not yet published), 3 poster presentations, 2 papers in progress
Other: older student with interesting resume, lots of volunteering, some teaching
Letters: 2 from plastic surgeons (chief and program director); had to cancel an away rotation last-minute due to health problems w/ father so I won't have a 3rd letter

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this inquiry. I appreciate any feedback that can be offered and thanks to all of you for posting such sound advice on these forums over the years.

Members don't see this ad.

Your resume is fine. Your letters will determine much of your success. Your letters are written by your work ethic, technical skill and personality. Be someone people want to work with and you will be fine.

That being said, there are no guarantees in plastics, even for the most qualified. Best of luck.

Hello, I am a 4th year med student. I decided to go into Plastics really late (May 2014). My school does not have a a big plastic department (only 2 Attendings). I plan on getting letters from both of them however, I need 2 more. I was only able to get away rotation spots in October and November. Are those absolutely late to get letters? I have some GS letters including from the Dean and Chair at my school. Can I use these letters for Plastics?

A little about me
Step 1: 252
Step 2 CK: pending
Step 2 CS: pending
Clinical rotations: mainly honors
No publications. One manuscript submitted and under review.
I have worked on 3 GS research projects but have not been published yet
3 poster presentations: one at a national level, won first place in another
I attend a 3rd tier med school.
Did not make Junior AOA but might get senior AOA

Do I have any chances for this year's match?

Thank you