Chances to a US Allopathic School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aztlannation

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I would like to know if I have a good profile to get into a US allopathic school and if delaying my application is a wise choice. Here are my details. I hope you guys can help!

I am a 24yo Mexican-American male
Graduated from UCLA with a B.S. in biochemistry, latin honors (magna cum laude, 3.84), and departmental highest honors.
I received numerous awards, mostly from community college, including the highest student award "Gladiator of the Year" offered at my community college. This was given to me because of my impact on students as a tutor, mentor, and teaching assistant.
I volunteered about 180hrs at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center transporting patients to radiology from the ER
I am currently volunteering at an elementary school where I do science experiments with 2nd graders once a month for the entire year (I started on Oct 2014, so about 5 months into it).
I have tutored college chemistry (mostly) and a few other science subjects for about four years. I did this at my community college, at Santa Monica College while attending UCLA, and independently throughout my entire college career. I would say I'm an excellent tutor.
Unfortunately I got a 29 on my MCAT. P12, V6, B11
I think I have really good letters of rec from my biochemistry professor from UCLA with whom I did a little research (just 1 quarter) and from a post-doc (now a professor) from UC Berkeley when I did a full summer worth of research through the NIH bridges to baccalaureate program. I created a poster and presented my research. I also have great letters from a non-science professor (education course) and from volunteering at UCLA Ronald Reagan hospital.
I am currently doing an internship at Stanford through the SCOPE program which allows me to get a bunch of clinical experience, full 9-hr shifts shadowing various doctors in the ER and being a certified Spanish Medical Interpreter in the ER.

I am unsure if I should apply this cycle, 2015, for admission to fall 2016. First reason being I don't have much clinical experience since I just started my internship at Stanford. Second, my MCAT. I am debating if I should take the new MCAT because I think I can do fine on the sociology, psychology, and biochemistry (my major) portion. Even though I may still do bad on verbal ( I just suck at verbal standardized exams).

I would love to get accepted into a top school (Stanford, Yale, Colombia, Harvard, UCLA, UCSF). But a middle tier school would be 100% fine considering my poor MCAT.

So...any advice?
Am I good, descent, or bad applicant?

Thanks!!! :)

You're so solid in every other way that you've absolutely got to fix up that V 6. I vote rock the new MCAT.

Hey!

With your stats you have a nearly 90% chance of getting into MD school (Hispanic applicant) based on the AAMC chart https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/factstable25-1.pdf.

However, I would take the new MCAT and try to do better on the verbal section. Any equivalent of 32+ on the new MCAT will get you into consideration for the top schools IMO.

Good luck to you!

Can you take a look at my chances question if you get the time?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interesting-journey-grade-trend-chances.1127514/

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the feedback guys! Anymore feedback would be awesome!

Honest assessment:

Your biggest problem right now is that 6 VR. If you can retake and get an 8+ you should have a very competitive application.

If you apply now you'll probably get into a few low tier schools and maybe a mid tier as well.

If you retake and get a 30+ (including an 8+ VR) you'll have a good shot at top tier schools.

In the end its up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
You can reasonably expect several interviews.
You cannot necessarily expect them at the schools you listed. Your chances at Drew and UCSF are at least fair depending on the quality of the rest of your application, though.
Would someone with a 6 V really have a fair shot at UCSF?

Ah, makes sense low Verbal could get some slack with those conditions. Odd to me that someone could struggle with English but quickly read phys/bio passages with great comprehension to make top 5-10% of test takers though! Makes me wonder what the max scores you could make in PS/BS are with no English

Ah, makes sense low Verbal could get some slack with those conditions. Odd to me that someone could struggle with English but quickly read phys/bio passages with great comprehension to make top 5-10% of test takers though! Makes me wonder what the max scores you could make in PS/BS are with no English

I don't know about no english, but I've heard plenty of people with scores along the 14/5/14 line that were ESL and personally know someone that got a 12/3/14. You'd be surprised how many people can speak english using science lingo well but can't hold a normal conversation in english to save their lives.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about no english, but I've heard plenty of people with scores along the 14/5/14 line that were ESL and personally know someone that got a 12/3/14. You'd be surprised how many people can speak english using science lingo well but can't hold a normal conversation in english to save their lives.
yeah it's bizarre. it's not like the science sections of the MCAT are written at a 3rd-grade reading level or something

For the record I've been in this country for over 15 years. I speak English very well. I just don't read much so I had trouble with verbal. My speed is too slow and my comprehension is weak. I think it's my lack of interest in the passages that hurt me. Science passages I do fine in though .

I think it just dpeends on your degree of comfort that you'd be willing to apply. having a stronger verbal WILL help you. That said, yes there's the new mcat and that's a whole new can of worms. Given that you are URM, you'll probably get some interviews but as other said, just not at the top tier places you're dreamin of. Maybe, but no guarantees.