Chances to get in basically anywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coconutshells

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a student in a Master's of Medical Science program who decided to try for the medical school route starting about a year ago. I am in KY.

Undergrad GPA of 3.15, Science GPA of 3.20. BS in Neuroscience. Obviously I struggled in undergraduate a bit, partially due to some personal issues including my mother having two different serious bouts with cancer during that time.

My Master's program GPA should finish at about 3.8 (31 credit hours, the last few I am earning this semester).

I spent 2 years in between undergrad and Master's as a full-time research technician, working both with animal models and purely genetic models, and am finishing my Master's thesis this semester. I have 3 publications, 1 as a co-author and 2 as a co first author. They are all published in mid-tier journals, no Science/Nature/Cell papers. I consider my research experience to be a strength, though I know this is often not weighted very heavily.

I am taking Physics 2 and Organic 2 next semester to round out my pre-reqs, and I intend to do everything in my power to earn A's in those courses, as it would hopefully show how far I have come.

I have about 30 hours of shadowing experience, and I would have more if it weren't for COVID (the place I was shadowing has shut down the observer program for now). I am hoping to get significantly more shadowing and clinical experience between now and applying (beginning May 2022), but COVID is complicating that.

I have 100+ hours of volunteering experience, mostly with the Alzheimer's organization and some with an animal rescue program.

I have not yet taken MCAT, which I am planning to do in March of 2022. Currently studying with Kaplan books and a couple of online question bank resources. I tend to do very well on standardized tests (college admissions tests and GRE), though I understand the MCAT is not to be underestimated.

I am willing to go just about anywhere for medical school, as I recognize I am not exactly an A+ candidate. I lean towards staying in KY, as the medical schools here supposedly prefer applicants from KY and who went to undergrad (and Master's in my case) in KY. However, I am very willing to go elsewhere, and have read a bit about a few universities that weigh graduate experience more heavily than most.

I still have a lot of doubt about myself as an applicant, but I'd love to know what others think about my chances if I can score well on the MCAT (say, 515+?). My advisor for the Master's program claims she has seen students with similar GPA to myself get into medical schools, though I am sure there are plenty who did not.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact before you apply. As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you could receive interviews at some DO schools. Post your actual score here in the future.