Chances!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

So. Ive posted couple times before about re-applying to dental school. Anyways, long story short, I just took my DAT and here are my stats.

3rd time applicant

1st and 2nd time ( 2011, 2012)
- Undergrad GPA 3.1 and 2.99 Science
- DAT 17 AA
- 1 interview each year

3rd time
- M.S GPA for the past year : 3.75 and 3.89 w/o+-
- Just retook DAT 20AA / 21TS / 20PAT / 16 QR

Applied to 15 schools, mostly private, and of course to my state school (WI)

Do I have a chance? I just looked at my application, and in the main page doesnt show my Masters GPA, but rather my Overall GPA which is undergrad plus grad, and its only 3.2 combined. Will schools still go over my graduate GPA?, also it is not an SMP, but a regular MS in Microbiology. Also an URM
by the way I also have good extracurriculars blah blah blah

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a decent chance. I'm surprised that you were invited for interviews for the first two cycles with those stats.
Which school was it?

I had an upward trend, but my GPA just couldnt recover after my first year and a half. Thats why I got invited to two schools. After the interviews, I just think that my GPA and DAT didnt serve me any good. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
That QR is troublesome... I know people with very similar stats who got in, but their school requested that they retake the DAT to bring the QR score up. Since you've already taken it 3 times (the normal limit), it may pose an issue.

Yeah I was worried about that too. I got all my scores over 20, except for that though

You may be facing an additional problem with your DAT. School's vary in how they look at your DAT scores. Some look at the most recent score, some look at the highest score, and some average all of the scores together. If the schools you're applying to average your DAT, your third attempt obviously didn't help much to raise your scores because it will still be below the average matriculated student. Check the ADEA guide on how DAT scores are calculated at each school you're interested in.

Thats a good idea. However my schedule wont allow me to take a 1 month math course. :s. In my first DAT I got a 19 in QR, so it is disappointing. I was really positive about this cycle with my masters grades and the new DAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will land a few interviews

Geez, masterdental you get me worried.... About not being accepted this cycle.

I got similar stats but a bit higher, 3.15, and you make me feel sad....

I have a lot of dental experience, do you think that would help me?

Geez, masterdental you get me worried.... About not being accepted this cycle.

I got similar stats but a bit higher, 3.15, and you make me feel sad....

I have a lot of dental experience, do you think that would help me?

Sorry about that. Lol. I don't mean to be discouraging. That is the last thing that I want to hear on SDN. I hope things pan out for us this year. I have a lot of faith that things will get better. If I don't get in this year idk what else in going to do. It would be a sign that dentistry is not for me. Idk how else to improve my application at this point. Good luck to you too.

Anyone else have any other input please ?

I'm in the same boat as you. Except I opted to do an SMP. My undergrad institution is 'prestigious' but that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. I will definitely update you if I land some interviews. We're all in this together. :luck:

I've gone fishing before in Wisconsin, it's a beautiful state.

Sounds good. I will update the thread as interviews come in . Good luck to you as well. We just need one school to believe in us and to give us the benefit of the doubt.