Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bry0716

Reaction score
So I just took the OAT today and didn’t do anywhere near as well as I hoped. All together my AA was a 270. I naturally don’t do well on standardized tests but I was hoping to score in at least the 300 area. I work 50 hour weeks so studying was just done when i had free time. Anyway, my question is: What are my chances of an interview? Below are same of my additional credentials and GPA information. I also only plan on applying to two schools, PCO and SUNY.

Degree: BA, Biology, General
Undergrad GPA: 3.26
Undergrad sGPA: 3.00

I have an associates degree in Ophthalmic Science where I had a GPA of a 3.70. Additionally, I am a Board Certified & Licensed Optician in NJ and have been working in the optical field for the past 7 years in both OD & MD offices. My letters of recommendations are from the directors at both of the programs I completed and my other two letters are from doctors I personally worked with for the past 3+ years (and also alumni from the schools I’m applying too). I plan on applying first thing in September.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a chance of hearing from PCO! But with SUNY they are a lot more competitive when looking at your OAT and GPA. I would definitely say retake it and aim for at least 300 AA/ TS if you are aiming for SUNY. Your experience is something all schools will consider heavily, but remember, your scores are what they see first. Best of luck in your application and don't forget to start sooner!

I got an email from SUNY and they look at you holistically. Probably agree to retake the OAT and aim around a 300+. You still got time to retake it and still consider to be early. I went to their admission camp and they said Nov 15 is still considered early. Around January 15, it's a warm month and after that it's late.

So I just took the OAT today and didn’t do anywhere near as well as I hoped. All together my AA was a 270. I naturally don’t do well on standardized tests but I was hoping to score in at least the 300 area. I work 50 hour weeks so studying was just done when i had free time. Anyway, my question is: What are my chances of an interview? Below are same of my additional credentials and GPA information. I also only plan on applying to two schools, PCO and SUNY.

Degree: BA, Biology, General
Undergrad GPA: 3.26
Undergrad sGPA: 3.00

I have an associates degree in Ophthalmic Science where I had a GPA of a 3.70. Additionally, I am a Board Certified & Licensed Optician in NJ and have been working in the optical field for the past 7 years in both OD & MD offices. My letters of recommendations are from the directors at both of the programs I completed and my other two letters are from doctors I personally worked with for the past 3+ years (and also alumni from the schools I’m applying too). I plan on applying first thing in September.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I have the EXACT same background and credentials. All the way to an AA in ophthalmic technology, in MS though. I applied last years and was told by 2 schools to retake. Planning to this December. Any updates?