Chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finish06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I entered pharmacy school 3 years ago... the market for residencies wasn't competitive at all... now that has changed... :(

I neglected to get involved in many pharmacy school organizations, instead enjoying my hobbies in my free time (being a road cyclist & computer enthusiast). My GPA is 3.82 and my rotations year next year is stacked with clinic experience, and difficult rotations that will prepare me if I do get a residency.

What are my chances? What can I do to make myself appear better on paper, because @ the moment, I am lacking. Help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone can really know what the chances are anymore. At least you have a good gpa and clinical rotations. If you lack involvement, I would try to volunteer with pharmacy associations during P4, maybe sit on some commitees, etc. etc. I don't think it's ever too late to get involved.

It's a crapshoot now, and it's going to be worse next year. Try to get involved in some research (any research) with the intent of submitting it to Midyear. Join organizations now and try to do something meaningful. Your GPA won't be holding you back, so you don't have that to worry about. Try to get great letters from your rotations next year by doing the absolutel best job you can (NOT retail rotations).

When it comes down to it, apply to the right places. It's great to shoot for the stars, but don't rest all your hopes on it. Apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I entered pharmacy school 3 years ago... the market for residencies wasn't competitive at all... now that has changed... :(

I neglected to get involved in many pharmacy school organizations, instead enjoying my hobbies in my free time (being a road cyclist & computer enthusiast). My GPA is 3.82 and my rotations year next year is stacked with clinic experience, and difficult rotations that will prepare me if I do get a residency.

What are my chances? What can I do to make myself appear better on paper, because @ the moment, I am lacking. Help is appreciated!

There is a surplus of 1100 candidates registered for the Match than there are positions available (according to one of my residency directors)

I heard the same from a director today. One third will not even get a spot based on demand and supply. A few hundred more won't match but will find a spot after the scramble. He said there are anywhere from 4 to 10 applicants per spot depending on the location of the position. I don't envy you guys at all.

OP-get in really good with notable faculty who can write great lors. I don't mean suck up, but do something to make yourself stand out. Tutoring, research, community events, leadership, anything innovative would be good.

I heard the same from a director today. One third will not even get a spot based on demand and supply. A few hundred more won't match but will find a spot after the scramble. He said there are anywhere from 4 to 10 applicants per spot depending on the location of the position. I don't envy you guys at all.

OP-get in really good with notable faculty who can write great lors. I don't mean suck up, but do something to make yourself stand out. Tutoring, research, community events, leadership, anything innovative would be good.

1100 didn't match last year, with 200 spots open for scrambles. This year will be worse. And it will be ****storm next year. There are simply not enough residency spots for all the people who wants to go clinical, and there are just not enough demand for clinical pharmacist to justify more residency spots. I think the pharmacy profession has gotten ahead of itself. >30% of my class went into residency last year, but really, are 30% of the pharmacy job clinical? Of course not.

1100 didn't match last year, with 200 spots open for scrambles. This year will be worse. And it will be ****storm next year. There are simply not enough residency spots for all the people who wants to go clinical, and there are just not enough demand for clinical pharmacist to justify more residency spots. I think the pharmacy profession has gotten ahead of itself. >30% of my class went into residency last year, but really, are 30% of the pharmacy job clinical? Of course not.

methinks there will be calls for a "WAMC?" subforum specifically for residencies soon.

Why do you think there is so much interest in residency these days compared to a few years ago? Do you think it's solely the economy and lack of other jobs? Or is the pharmacy student population just really getting to the point where they all want to do "clinical" stuff after school?

I think the pharmacy profession has gotten ahead of itself. >30% of my class went into residency last year, but really, are 30% of the pharmacy job clinical? Of course not.
I completely agree. I'm glad I did a residency, I think I'm a better pharmacist because of my experience, but the #1 driving reason behind it was for me to be a competitive candidate for future jobs. I don't think that's a bad reason, it just is.

Why do you think there is so much interest in residency these days compared to a few years ago? Do you think it's solely the economy and lack of other jobs? Or is the pharmacy student population just really getting to the point where they all want to do "clinical" stuff after school?

All of the above, but I think the need for a competitive edge in a tough market is #1.

Some places may be even worse. My program got 16 applicants per spot. I know of another program that interviewed 20 applicants for 2 spots.

Hello,
I will be a P1 student this fall. I am from Texas and I was accepted into Texas Tech. I was also admitted to University of Maryland. My question is...how important a role do clinical rotations play in getting you a residency? I believe Maryland has amazing opportunities for clinical rotations. I am hoping to pursue a residency after graduation. I am concerned about the debt issue. People tell me that a PharmD is a PharmD regardless of where you get it from and that choosing an out-of-state school over an in-state school is not exactly a wise decision. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Hello,
I will be a P1 student this fall. I am from Texas and I was accepted into Texas Tech. I was also admitted to University of Maryland. My question is...how important a role do clinical rotations play in getting you a residency? I believe Maryland has amazing opportunities for clinical rotations. I am hoping to pursue a residency after graduation. I am concerned about the debt issue. People tell me that a PharmD is a PharmD regardless of where you get it from and that choosing an out-of-state school over an in-state school is not exactly a wise decision. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Your school and fourth year rotations are VERY important for getting residency. Rotations prepare you for residency experience. If you get interviews, you will be asked what rotations you took, what kind of patients you saw, what interventions you made. You will be asked many clinical questions. If residency is your goal, chose sell-established school with good reputation and strong clinical rotations. PharmD is a PharmD, of course, no matter where you go to school, but it is not true for residency purposes.