Change in immigration status in the middle of the cycle- how to update schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notanorthobro

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm currently an applicant to MD schools. When I applied, I was still on F-1 status as an international student. However, my green card got approved today, which means I'm no longer an international student. I'm just a regular resident of Michigan (yayyy). So now I have to update my schools. How should I do this? Email admissions? Update letters? Thank you for all the guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Connect with the [email protected] folks. While this is not a change in state residency, they should be able to guide you through the documentation needed if you are able to change your immigration/citizenship status. That said, the 2024 AMCAS Applicant Guide states you cannot change it once you submit your application.

You probably should reach out to the individual schools. Start with the ones who are highest on your wishlist or may have put you on pre-II hold. Definitely notify any schools that have sent you an II.

Reactions: 1 user
OP: If AMCAS lets you change your status, could you come back and let us know.
They have previously said they would not. I'm hoping that has changed.
Hi,

I contacted them and they said they cannot change anything in my primary application. They advised me to reach out to schools individually, which I did yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I contacted them and they said they cannot change anything in my primary application. They advised me to reach out to schools individually, which I did yesterday.
Thanks for giving us the update.
...and my congratulations on your new status!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users