Change of Plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xanarticus

Xanarticus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask the other people what they thought of my plan for college.
I have been thinking recently about changing my major as I have been getting C's in my biology classes (find my previous post for details). I only have two years of financial aid left so I was thinking of getting a degree that would allow me to finish on time but still make use of what I have learned in my time at APU. Health Psychology is a branch of the psych department that would put my anatomy and physiology background to use. I have gotten all A's in my prior Psych classes and would be something I could be happy to study/learn. However this would not be the path to DPT school, at least not directly.
Instead I would finish a degree at my current school and then take a year at a CC to do the pre-reqs, applying the year after. So I would be looking at a five year plan at minimum, but with an assured degree that would be awarded on time.
On the other hand I could stick with Applied Health and see what happens, it might work, it might not. The question I pose to the community is this: would it be better to go with the viable/safe option or would sticking it out be a better way to go?
Keep in mind if I don't get into DPT on the first shot after the five year plan thats six years as an undergraduate until I can apply again.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can keep your cumulative GPA over a 2.9 I would not recommend changing majors. It seems as though people with scores of 2.9 on this forum are routinely getting into places if you apply to the right schools. There are alot of physical therapy schools in the US and some may be having trouble filling seats. However, you may not have a large list of schools to choose from. Have you looked at required science prerequisite GPAs at schools you're interested in or perhaps called a couple schools. Some might have a 2.0 minimum or no minimum. You could always ask them if they thought it was necessary for you to retake some classes to remain competitive. If you have to, could you retake some of the prerequisites during the summer or take them for the first time at a community college (for the science prereqs you haven't taken yet) for better grades. That could save you time! I had anxiety problems during grad school, but I got through it. It is good that you have this identified and are seaking help now so it is easier to handle later. Hope this helps!