Change of Specialty to FP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newchange

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a PGY2 in another specialty and I am thinking about changint to FP. I was initially thinking about finishing what I was doing since I have only one more year to go and then apply for FP position. But I heard from someone that if you finish residency training in a certain field, you'll have hard time finding a residency spot since the new program will not be funded by the government. Is it really the case ? And even if the funding thing is true, will it be very difficult to find a FP residency position ? After all it is not radiology or anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

Look up the FP program at Kingsport, Tennessee, and you can find it under the AAFP web links. It is part of ETSU. They have an intern there, or maybe he is a second year by now, but he is a board certified general and cardiothoracic surgeon. His name is Dr. Trip Bower I think. He completed and actually practiced and then decided he wanted to do FP. You might just contact the PD by email, Dr. Reid Blackwelder, as he is unbelievably helpful and will certainly know the answer to your questions. Good luck.

Matt

Hi Newchange,

what specialty are thinking about changing from. And why are you changing. If you are in medicine. You should complete your program and gear your practice towards more family practice type issues such as preventative care and behavioral medicine.

CambieMD

Members don't see this ad :)
CambieMD,
That's so funny that you said that... we have a FM faculty member who did pediatrics and now practices FM... I don't know how that happened. We're at an academic institution, so it's not like she's a pediatrician on FM faculty... She practices FM...

So... sounds like all you need to do is pass USMLE Step 3 to be a general practitioner?

Confused...

I'm changing from pathology. Contrary to many people's belief, there are many gray areas in pathology. I am in an ivy league program but miss patient contact. As the saying goes, probably the grass is always greener on the other side, since there are people trying to switch from fp to path but for me I think fp is more appealing. I thought about just doing AP which will take 3 years and then do fp again. But what is the purpose of doing that if I am not going to use any of my diagnostic skills in daily practice ? What do you think CambiMd, do you still think fp has cloudy future and path will be more interesting ?

Hi newchange,

the funding issue will not effect you in finding a residency position . I am assuming that you cleared step 3 already. Some programs will turn you down pointing out funding. These rules are easy to get around. There are several sources of funding that some programs draw from. The fact that you have cleared all of your steps will make you attractive to some programs.

CambieMD

Newchange,

I did not answer all of your questions. I left out the question directed to me.

The future of not just fp but primary care will be cloudy for years to come.

I have elaborated on this in past posts.

I would suggest that you make four lists. One list should have what you like about path. The other should state why you want to switch to fp. The third list should examine the benefits of fp over medicine. The fouth list should state the benefits of medicine over fp. Also list the pluses and minuses of your three choices.

Do not be swayed by those who sound like fanatics in thier zeal for fp. Also do not be undully influenced by folks like me. Gather the information that you need and decide what will be best for you not just the length of your residency but for a career.

Read the AMA news if you want to get a good idea as to the future of primary care.

CambieMD

p.s.

I will send you a pm to explain my throwing IM into the mix. I do not want to serve as a lightning rod.

Thanks for the input.
I have 3 more days before I make up my mind whether I should submit my ROL. I've tried the list that you mentioned and it is more confusing as a matter of fact.
:D

After all, it's not an easy decision to change specialty when you are almost half done with another.

Hi Newchange,

at this point I would say stay with path. You can always practice primary care later, if the desire doesn't go away. Do not worry about the fundind issue. You may not find a program in the best location but a program will let you in. It will be a lot harder to return to path once you have left.

Goo luck,

CambieMD

Newchange,

If you don't mind, can you tell us how old you are? I think if you have determined that you love the interaction with patients like you get in FM, then follow your heart and leave Path. You are wasting days of your life everyday that you are not following your real desires. I have been in FM since I first graduated from PA school, and even now in medical school, I know I will do nothing else. And I have top-knotch stats; the kind that could get me any residency anywhere. But I still want to do what I love, which is communicate the medical language to lesser trained people (patients!!), and help them navigate the scary world of illness and disease. And when you follow your heart and provide high quality care, you will be more successful than you could ever imagine. As a PA I made more than a lot of FP docs, because I cared about my patients and I had people waiting to see me. And if you love what you do, you can do even better as an FP doc. I may have posted it before, but jump over to the East Tennessee State University FP program at Kingsport, Tn. They have a resident named Dr. Trip Bower, who is a cardiothoracic surgeon who decided to go back and do FP after all that!! Look him up and shoot him an email. And ask their director Dr. Reid Blackwelder if he thinks you would be competitive in your situation. He is the most down to earth physician you will ever meet. Good luck and follow your dreams.

Matt M.

Hi PACtoDOC.
I'm 33. Not too young not to old. :D
I actually checked the program's web site that you mentioned and couldn't find the person that you were referring to. Probably moved to some other program or have graduated. Anyway, thanks for the 2 cents.

You are in no way too old to switch residencies! You will be done around 35 and be only a few years older than the average graduate, but your patients will appreciate the slightly older age.

And here is the link to the program page at ETSU. Look under "2nd year residents" and you will see Dr. Trip Bower. You can reach him through emailing the PD or the residency coordinator.
http://fammed.etsu.edu/?CONTEXT=art&cat=30&art=61&BISKIT=2380861628

Matt