Change state drivers license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabsaf123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I move from away from my home state, for med school, do I need to get a new driver's license? Couldn't I just keep using my original license?

What other things have you guys encountered when moving away to go to med school in a different state?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your best bet would be to call the state DMV and ask them for specifics. There are usually some exemptions for students, military, etc. However, in our state, you have thirty days to change over your license plate regardless of student status.

Now whether or not you are going to get pulled over and cited is a different story.

Edit: another thing to consider is whether your home state allows DL renewals via Internet/mail. It might be a hassle to go back to your home state to process a DL renewal during the middle of the school year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Your best bet would be to call the state DMV and ask them for specifics. There are usually some exemptions for students, military, etc. However, in our state, you have thirty days to change over your license plate regardless of student status.

Now whether or not you are going to get pulled over and cited is a different story.

Edit: another thing to consider is whether your home state allows DL renewals via Internet/mail. It might be a hassle to go back to your home state to process a DL renewal during the middle of the school year.

What state do you live in?

Members don't see this ad :)
What state do I live in or where is my school located?

You mentioned that in your state (where you live or where your school is), you have to change your plate within 30 days regardless of status. That one! :)

You mentioned that in your state (where you live or where your school is), you have to change your plate within 30 days regardless of status. That one! :)

I live in a different state than my school. I'm one of the commuters due to the location of my family. My school is in a state in the Southeast. Shouldn't be too hard with a Google search.

But my point remains.....regardless, each state (and even some counties/municipalities) will have their own rules regarding license plates/DLs/etc.

While SDN is great, the best source would be the individual DMV located in the school's state/county/municipality.

I will say that being in a university town, local PD is acutely aware that a great majority of people are students and therefore do actively issue citations for not having a local (e.g., state) plate.

I have been thinking about this also. For me, once I move to the state my future school is in the address on my drivers licence will be incorrect. So I'm going to go to the DMV and have it all switched over.

If for instance you can list your parents house as your primary residence and you find that there is a significant benefit to keeping your current state ID, might as well keep it. Honestly, its not difficult to switch over your ID and registration and depending on which state you're moving from/to, it might save you some significant money in yearly vehicle registration costs.

You can always get a State ID, and keep your DL from whatever state you're in. It's cheaper and faster.

Depends on the states involved. Many states have policies that if you're a full-time degree student, you don't need to get a new DL. Once you're no longer a full-time student, you usually have to get a new DL within 1-6 mos (again varying by the state). Its your responsibility to determine what the requirements are in any state you plan to be driving in for an extended period of time.

Well I changed my license just so I wouldn't have to deal with any hassles later. Also, registration fees, inspection/emission fees, taxes, and insurance rates are much lower at my school's state than my home state.

Well I changed my license just so I wouldn't have to deal with any hassles later. Also, registration fees, inspection/emission fees, taxes, and insurance rates are much lower at my school's state than my home state.
My DL doesn't expire for 2 more years so I've made it through all of med school without having to spend the money on a new one. As a student, you shouldn't have to worry about it in most places. Same with my license plates. I kept the same plates until I sold the car this year and renewed by mail each year. If I had gotten pulled over is just tell them I'm a full time student. If they tell me to change it, I'll do it. Ignorance is bliss if it saves you money!