Changes in Osteopathic Medical Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haven't seen this before:

"...according to unpublished data from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, 98.5% of 2013 graduates placed in either osteopathic or allopathic programs."

More information on this Blue Ribbon Commission thing.

http://thedo.osteopathic.org/?p=165891

The longitudinal concept is interesting. However, I disagree with five years as an acceptable length for medical training. At least two years of residency after the fifth year for a total of seven and board certification eligibility is important.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least two years of residency after the fifth year for a total of seven and board certification eligibility is important.
QwqhZC

That is interesting... not too sure how I feel about it?

More information on this Blue Ribbon Commission thing.

http://thedo.osteopathic.org/?p=165891

The longitudinal concept is interesting. However, I disagree with five years as an acceptable length for medical training. At least two years of residency after the fifth year for a total of seven and board certification eligibility is important.

Don't worry about it, it's never going to happen. Especially now that the ACGME has taken over AOA residencies. It's a pipe dream.

Don't worry about it, it's never going to happen. Especially now that the ACGME has taken over AOA residencies. It's a pipe dream.

I don't think that it would matter. All that it seems like to me is an effort to rearrange medical school curriculum and link the internship to undergraduate medical education. Maybe rearranging things would allow things to "make more sense" as a student would get a more longitudinal clinical experience. But I don't believe that it would encourage anyone to stop at five years. You can do it now: four years + a TRI, get a license, and hang your shingle. However, I don't see people doing it. Insurance companies darn near require board certification for reimbursement. There's no reason not to.

It's fine to integrate and rearrange if that indeed trains more competent physicians. However, there's no reason to shorten physician training and in effect move primary care closer to the training of midlevels. We should spend our efforts on distinguishing ourselves and showing patients that it's worth going to a provider with more advanced training. Practice smarter and more effectively, not with less training.

It does matter. The longitudinal proposal would be requiring five years for someone get a medical degree so if you have hopes of going into anesthesiology or PM&R, for example, you'd be extending your medical training by one year because you'd have to do a residency in that AFTER your 5 years of medical school. Not to mention the only way this will work is if all the clinical sites are on board because that's how the students get their clinical experience. The ACGME is taking over all the sites with residencies, so unless DO schools pull out a ton of new sites that don't have residencies in order to accomplish this, it's a lost cause.

It does matter. The longitudinal proposal would be requiring five years for someone get a medical degree so if you have hopes of going into anesthesiology or PM&R, for example, you'd be extending your medical training by one year because you'd have to do a residency in that AFTER your 5 years of medical school. Not to mention the only way this will work is if all the clinical sites are on board because that's how the students get their clinical experience. The ACGME is taking over all the sites with residencies, so unless DO schools pull out a ton of new sites that don't have residencies in order to accomplish this, it's a lost cause.
Agreed