changes in publication status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exeunt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if we have a change in publication status after ERAS is submitted (probably only submitted-->acceptance is worth notifying), how do we go about notifying programs? mass email to all the PDs? if we get an acceptance post-interviews, is it worth notifying them then? any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You may get different answers from people. I think for a big research article that got accepted in a high impact journal, u can email program coordinators politely asking for such information to be included in your file. Don't be pushy. I would not make a fuss about a case report. Maybe unless the case report is published in NEJM or JAMA derm.

U should definitely bring up the information during interview, if that news has not been conveyed.

U can definitely email PD or any faculty u formed a good rapport with during interview. Do it soon. Rank lists are made very soon post interview.

Best of luck!!! It's a good problem to worry about

if we have a change in publication status after ERAS is submitted (probably only submitted-->acceptance is worth notifying), how do we go about notifying programs? mass email to all the PDs? if we get an acceptance post-interviews, is it worth notifying them then? any advice is appreciated!

I wonder if this is even worth it. When I filled out ERAS, I was unhappy that accepted papers--unless they have already been assigned to an issue--are grouped in the same section as submitted and conditionally accepted papers. What's the point of having a first author paper accepted in JAAD if it gets buried in your other manuscripts under review? I honestly wonder how closely PD's read the publication section of ERAS, let alone if they would take notice if you emailed them and informed them that a paper went from under review to accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)

Unless you are part of a ground-breaking article, I would just keep it in your back pocket as something to mention during interviews. A mass email to all PDs probably won't be looked upon favorably

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely not mass-email all Dermatology residency PDs just to tell them your publication went from submitted to accepted. Don't be "that guy". Now if you get a publication accepted post-interview, just note that in your communication with your interviews (in an email or thank you card) to those you interviewed with.

I would definitely not mass-email all Dermatology residency PDs just to tell them your publication went from submitted to accepted. Don't be "that guy". Now if you get a publication accepted post-interview, just note that in your communication with your interviews (in an email or thank you card) to those you interviewed with.
thanks for the advice! so unless i get a nature paper accepted or something (ha ha), i don't need to update programs regarding acceptances? just mention it during interviews if it comes up?

thanks for the advice! so unless i get a nature paper accepted or something (ha ha), i don't need to update programs regarding acceptances? just mention it during interviews if it comes up?
Yes. LOL! It's great to talk about at interviews though.