Changes made in the URM category???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoTownPreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I was lurking through the application AMCAS worksheet for 2016, I realized something different showed up. There are now more options in the "sub-category" in the self identification list. For example, under the Asian category, there wasn't many to choose from besides: "Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Asian Indian" in the previous years. Now, there are additional sub-category options in the Asian category such as "Cambodian, Laotian, Pakistani, etc". This can possibly give leverage to those who lies under the new sub-category, therefore falling under the "URM" list. Has AMCAS realized that there are other groups out there that are indeed URM? Who knows?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that AMCAS has realized this and this is a great sign for people who do belong to those categories. Grouping Asians all together is not good for healthcare at all because of the vast differences between Asian ethnic groups. Language is also an issue.